Best way to remove front timing cover? - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Best way to remove front timing cover?

Featured Replies

I'm going to be installing a new timing chain, and I was wondering what the best way to remove the front cover is while the engine is still in the car.

Removing the timing cover is pretty straight forward, what you want to do is try not to damage the head gasket that will be left after you get the cover off. If you are not careful it will be leak oil. Also the front face of the block has to be absulutely clean or you will have even more leaks, water and oil.

  • Author
Removing the timing cover is pretty straight forward, what you want to do is try not to damage the head gasket that will be left after you get the cover off. If you are not careful it will be leak oil. Also the front face of the block has to be absulutely clean or you will have even more leaks, water and oil.

well, i was just wondering if there were any tips mostly.

right now i got the radiator off, and i'm trying to get the distributor out, but it appears to be stuck so i'm going to have to work at it.

other than that, i'm unbolting the sway bar so I can get my oil pump out, and then I'll be dropping the oil pan after I get the crank bolt out.

Tip wise, about the only thing I can add is don't forget the two small 6mm bolts that go vertically into the front cover through the two tabs at the front of the head. The one by the fuel pump is pretty obvious but its friend by the dizzy is hiding pretty good, especially if its caked with gunk. And don't forget to put them back in.

  • Author

got everything out, but I'm still waiting on my timing chain to arrive... gotta wait until tuesday, which sucks.

so now I'll be starring at my car for the next 3 days just being sad that I can't drive it.

  • 1 year later...
S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
Tip wise, about the only thing I can add is don't forget the two small 6mm bolts that go vertically into the front cover through the two tabs at the front of the head. The one by the fuel pump is pretty obvious but its friend by the dizzy is hiding pretty good, especially if its caked with gunk. And don't forget to put them back in.

i dont suppose someone has pictures of these hiding ninja bolts?

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.