IGNORED

Flow guide valve

Wade

What would my best option be for my flow guide valve. Currently I have the tank line coming into it, the air cleaner line going to the back of the air cleaner box, and the crankcase tube just blocked off. Crankcase tube blocked because I have no nipple for it on this blocks vent outlet. My understanding is the 240 blocks have a smaller nipple coming off of the same vent that goes up to the pcv valve.

Should I run the crankcase outlet up to the intake manifold? My thoughts on this is wouldnt this be pretty much exactly the same as running it to the crankcase vent that goes up to the manifold anyhow.

Could I just scrap the flow guide valve and run the inlet from tank directly into the back of air cleaner? Not too sure about this idea, unsure of how much expansion the tank does and if it would send fuel into the air cleaner.

Just keep it how I have it, at least I utilize the suction going back into the tank but I will have no expansion the opposite way when the car is shut down.

Just a though here, and perhaps a stretch, but I have to wonder if plumbing the fuel tank vent directly into the air cleaner is a good idea. If the engine coughs and catches the air box on fire is could back-up into the fuel tank. The flow guide valve might have check valve or some other device to prevent this from happening.

If you do not want to use the original set-up why not vent the tank at the rear of the car with a hose that drops down under the floor, outside the cockpit, near the spare tire and fuel filler area?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so scrapped that idea. As far as the crankcase tubing, guess its just for letting expansion gasses leave the tank in need, instead of leaving it just blocked off would I be best off running the tubing to the balance tube or leaving it just open and dangling down below the flow guide valve, perhaps maybe just putting a small filter on it there?

The idea is that the fuel tank vents into the crankcase when not being driven. Fuel vapors are stored in the crankcase, perhaps being absorbed by the oil. Upon starting the engine the vapors are pulled into the intake and burned. The tank vent is controlled by the flow guide valve.

If you want to eliminate the vapor recovery system the best (safest?) method is to vent the tank at the rear of the car, outside the cabin. You do not want fuel vapors in the car, nor do you want them venting near a source of ignition.

If you want to eliminate the guide valve without removing the whole system, connect a hose to the steel line and let it drop down under the car, below the frame. Be sure to secure it adequately so it does not get on the exhaust pipe. Using a small fuel filter in the line will help keep dirt out.

On our car we eliminated the entire evap system and have a single vent hose from the tank (we closed the others) connecting to a T-fitting at the filler neck. From the 3rd leg of the T a hose rises up and over the filler neck and then goes down through the floor to the outside, near the electric fuel pump. This has worked well for us so far.