IGNORED

Looking for Recommendations

z boy mn

I don't really understand what's been done to the car, what that means in terms of how it runs, or even what questions I should ask.

Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, comments? My plan is to find a Z I can use as a daily driver in the summers and make the best of the time when there's no snow on the ground!

This car will probably require substantial work before it's a daily driver. The FSM, Haynes and Chilton manuals will be of limited use because the engine is customized, the brakes are not stock, and it has coilovers. Since it's not running and has been sitting, you'll be spending a lot of time and more money (possibly a lot more money) rebuilding or replacing things like the hydraulics and carburetors. That's not even considering any body damage that might need repairing. I would look at this more as a project that might sit in your garage or shop for quite a while, than something that you'll be driving. Any car can be a daily driver if you know how to work on it every day to keep it moving. I see lots of extra time and money necessary to get this one back to street-worthy.

Forget about the winking, just find a level-headed friend who knows cars and take them to see this one. A flashy looking red sports car and an automotive newby are a recipe for an expensive mistake.

This car will probably require substantial work before it's a daily driver. The FSM, Haynes and Chilton manuals will be of limited use because the engine is customized, the brakes are not stock, and it has coilovers. Since it's not running and has been sitting, you'll be spending a lot of time and more money (possibly a lot more money) rebuilding or replacing things like the hydraulics and carburetors. That's not even considering any body damage that might need repairing. I would look at this more as a project that might sit in your garage or shop for quite a while, than something that you'll be driving. Any car can be a daily driver if you know how to work on it every day to keep it moving. I see lots of extra time and money necessary to get this one back to street-worthy.

Forget about the winking, just find a level-headed friend who knows cars and take them to see this one. A flashy looking red sports car and an automotive newby are a recipe for an expensive mistake.

Well said.

Thanks again, everyone...and I like the idea of a wingman. I've arranged for one--one who does body work for a living--and found a shop close by. We'll see how interested the seller is once it's on a lift. Again, I'll update with news after the new year (assuming there is some)!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes...I was just about to post an update in fact. Bad news all in all, I'm afraid.

I've been in regular contact with the seller and planned on going down yesterday with cash in hand and a trailer. Everything seemed good to go...when the seller got an offer from some guy in NY over the phone, which he accepted. When I found out, I contacted the seller right away as $$$ hadn't exchanged hands yet, but no joy. Furthermore, the money did arrive so the deal is done--though the car hasn't shipped yet. My last chance is to try to buy the car back from the buyer in NY...or pay the MN seller to do so...and then buy it. It's a VERY VERY long shot, though, so I don't have much hope that it will succeed.

To combat my Z pangs, I've been looking a little online again for vehicles, and while there are a few--they all need tons of mechanical work...and as I'm not a mechanic, it would cost a fortune to pay someone else to make the changes/mods. When I took this one for a ride, I was VERY impressed with the performance and now recognize that I'm after something which is zippier than stock. For example, I test-drove a 280ZX-R a while back, and it wasn't any faster than our Subaru Outback....

So...thanks for asking, but it looks like this story won't have a happy ending.