IGNORED

How much would you pay? Chevy 350 / Turbo 400 1972 240Z

caideN

First post! Sorry for the long post!!!

I've been looking for a ls1 pre 1975 datsun (pre 75 due to California smog exempt) but I didn't have more than $10,000 to play with, so no luck with that.

I posted a WTB ad on craigslist and someone with a v8 350 / turbo 400 swap emailed me. The car sat for most of its life in a shop. The car has no rust at all. 30k miles on body. It was originally yellow but repainted light blue in 1973-1975. The paint still shines but has some chips that shows the old yellow paint underneath. The interior is still in great shape with roll bar and everything. The motor, transmission, and rear end has 5k miles since the swap. I'm sure it has aftermarket suspensions because its stiff and looks a bit lowered. He can't remember what he put in LOL

Here is the info the owner gave me. He is a great guy and owns a mechanic / body shop. I trust him.

"I have a 1972 240z with a chevy 350/turbo 400. Professionally built and custom. It has a rollbar, engine chrome, custom seats, autometer guages, 370 gears, etc.. One of a kind. I dont think u will find another like this one. The engine has dome pistons, 202 Dart heads w/ I think 72cc combustion chamber, giving a probably 10 to 10.5 compression, roller rockers, solid lifters, hooker headers, HRE rims with Perelli, dual piston calipers, slotted rotors."

I saw the car in person and I noticed a leaky differential. I think a gasket change would fix that. Also the ignition was busted but he just ordered the parts. He jumped and started the car for me.

Honestly, I've never worked on older carb'd engines. I had a 98 z28 with ls1 which is the only V8 motor I've messed with. The owner predicts the car is a 12 sec car in a 1/4. It has some 255 series tires and it breaks loose when changing gears.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. How much would you pay?? I've never bought an old car with swaps so I don't want to offer a ridiculous amount. Thanks!

img1019kr.jpg

img1022b.jpg

img1020c.jpg

img1023gl.jpg

img1021x.jpg

I think you need to go to hybirdZ with this one, looks like a Space 1999 car to most of us, as far as a Z goes. Everyone around here is running a L motor. FWIW, swap cars are going for less than a comprable "stock" just because parts are easier to identify and replace. Personally, I think I would insult the guy if I were to make an offer.

I posted there also. Thanks I wasn't aware that everyone was stock here. Well for a low mileage body and no rust I thought someone can chime in an offer. Haha how much would you offer? I'm not the owner so no one will be offended. :)

If you really want a car like that, make a lowball offer and preface it with logic like I stated above and leave a name and number, you might get the car for less than you think. This is afterall an old custom job that needs a refresh to be all it should be and that will cost you a good bit of cash on top of the purchase price. Work him and see what you can get him down to, I'm sure that potential buyers aren't busting his door down 3 weeks before Christmas in this economy.

I agree you might want to take this to HibridZ.com for a more educated opinion. I have a custom Chevy 350 V8 in my 72 Z but have no idea what it would sell for today as I have had for over 10 years & have made several mods. The car looks really cool to me with clean interior & only thing telling is hood. Looks like solid minimally modded V8 conversion.

A little info. These are all the V8 Z's I could find that are currently for sale. Average price just below $6K, high just over $8K.

I'd say my $6K-$8K was dead nuts on, again assuming the car is as nice as described.

$8,500 1973 Datsun 240Z Hot Rod with 383 SBC - $8500 (San Antonio) pic

$8,000 73 Datsun 240Z w/ 327 V8 - $8000 (Melissa, TX) pic

$8,000 DATSUN 280Z V8 SWAP FOR SALE OR TRADE - $8000 (MIDLOTHIAN) pic

$6,900 76' Datsun 280Z with 350sml block... - $6900 (indianapolis, in)

$6,500 Datsun 260Z V8 - $6500 (Vancouver) pic

$5,000 DATSUN 280 Z CAR V8 1979 - $5000 (Maple Valley Wa.)

$4,900 Nov 28 - 71 DATSUN 240Z W/ CHEVY 350 V8 $4,900. - $4900 (excelsior ) pic

$4,500 1971 datsun 240z with chevy v8 swap - $4500 (pasco) pic

$4,000 for trade or sell 280z convertible V8 - $4000 (anaheim) pic

$4,000 1973 Datsun 360Z. new V8 engine. 90,000 miles. $4,000 or best offer.

$4,000 1981 Datsun 280zx 2+2 T-tops V8 - $4000 (Northeast Philly) pic

$3,900 datsun, chevy V8 tag:camaro,ls1,turbo - $3900 (huntsville )

I don't really know what price to suggest. Ultimately it comes down to what you can afford and what he will accept. Don't give him any indication of the max you are able to spend. Also don't give the impression you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE THAT CAR. Be prepared to spend time learning and tinkering with it as the above contributor mentioned. Modified cars require a lot of knowledge acquisition even if you modified it yourself. I really like the color though.

It looks to me like a solid $6500 car if it runs as good as it looks, but if it runs as bad as the hood looks then $4500. If you are looking for a V8 car that looks like a solid one to buy. I really like the wheels and tires, the interior looks good along with the gage update. If you can get it for the low price under $5K do it.