IGNORED

popping through the exhaust at 4500 rpm or so.. HELP!

Zedyone_kenobi

Nah, Bruce has done enough good for enough guys on this board that he owes me nothing. I asked him to do the impossible. When I sent my SU's to him, I asked him to solve a problem with my carbs when they are mounted to a different intake and engine. That is a tough call. No telling what it could have been. But I still think Bruce and Steve at Ztherapy are top notch guys and would stand behind their product 100% of the time.

Maybe it was my intake.

Now I am left with tuning a set of Webers and I could not be happier. I drove them to work this morning, and they ran great! I still cannot just jab the throttle as fast as my foot can go, as the suck air, but I can tune around all of that. This problem is solved, but not knowing exactly what it was with the SU's bugs me. I will just drain the SU's and wrap them in plastic, and put them in a box. SHame as they are so darn beautiful.

This problem is solved, but not knowing exactly what it was with the SU's bugs me. I will just drain the SU's and wrap them in plastic, and put them in a box.

Bugs me too. It's just so open ended...

I'd pay the shipping for you to send them to me for yet another set of eyeballs, but I can't believe there would be anything that I could possibly notice that wouldn't have been picked up by ZT.

After all those pages of investigation, I just hate not knowing. :paranoid:

Hey, now that you don't need those carbs to run the car, how about that shot of the SM's and the N27's next to the ruler?

It's hard to believe it was the intake,that mystery is still out there. It would be great to swap carbs on another Z car to see what happened.

Those webers would sound good with a set of air horns. I will never forget driving a 260 with a set of webers, because we were racing a 911s. The Z had a different cam, headers, and some head work had been done. The 911 got us by a half car length. The Z had stock 4 speed.

Thanks for the pics. Not as much of a length difference as I was expecting. Looks like less than one station. I'll double check the length on some of my needles and see if I can figure out where the original confusion lies.

Do you think that silver needle is OEM Nissan, or do you think it's aftermarket?

Okay, the silver needle was one I got from Ztherapy. My Ztherapy carbs came with the Gold SM needles. I thought I was running rich 12 pages or so ago, so I asked Ztherapy to send me some OEM needles. The silver ones are what I received. I no longer have an OEM non rebuilt set of SU's to check the needles.

I'm no authority on needles, but I just asked about the plating because I've not seen OEM (Nissan stock) needles that have been plated. Everything I've seen that I was positive came from Nissan was unplated brass. Now mind you... that's maybe twenty Nissan needles, so as I said, I'm no authority. :)

Only plated needles I've seen were supplied in aftermarket rebuild kits. I've got a pair of plated N-54's and a pair of plated M-49's (from memory) from said kits on the bench right now.

So, I'm drawing a distinction between OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer, Hitachi in this case) and "OEM" ("form fit and function same as original, but not necessarily made by the same mfgr").

All that said, I did a little photo editing on your original pic and can tell you that the length of the N-27 needle you have there is the same as the ones I have, and the SM is a little shorter than the literature would lead you (me?) to expect, but not by much. It's missing the narrowest station (station #14), but even with the piston all the way up, you would still have needle in the nozzle, so it doesn't matter in application.

I don't have the pic uploaded, but I will do that when I get a chance.