IGNORED

About to buy headers, need help verifying head

funkadelik

Hello,

My first major work on the car and I'm having trouble identifying the head. I noticed the car had a rebuilt engine since there was a tag saying so on the block. Attached is a few pictures. One of the head and another of the intake manifold. There is a N42 stamp on it but looking at other pictures of an N42 head this one appears to be different. HELP?! I don't want to purchase the wrong headers.

As you can tell this looks way different than the pics on this auction item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Z-240Z-260Z-280Z-ZX-Rebuilt-N42-Cylinder-Head-/400244055278?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d30679cee

Last, I included a few pics of some damage to the head I noticed while pulling it off.. How bad of an impact would this have on my car? Would it cause abnormalities? Smoking? Funny, this all started with a head gasket replacement :/

post-25093-14150816642842_thumb.jpg

post-25093-14150816643448_thumb.jpg

post-25093-14150816644046_thumb.jpg

post-25093-14150816644624_thumb.jpg

post-25093-14150816645195_thumb.jpg

post-25093-14150816645794_thumb.jpg

I'm not an expert on identifying the various heads, but that definitely looks like a round-port head to me.

As for the damage, I'd bet that was the cause of the head gasket failure. You'll need to have that head repaired, or replace it with a different head.

Lastly, do some research on that particular ebay seller before sending him any money....

Edited by Arne

Did you also post over on Hybridz? I saw a similar N42 head over there. It's definitely different from the stock domestic square port exhaust N42. My N42 head looks like the E-Bay head.

That looks like water passage rust damage in Picture #5. There might be more in other water passages. I've read of rust eating all the way in to the exhaust port. You might look a little deeper in to how much rust damage is there.