IGNORED

Refreshing a drivers mirror

240dkw

While digging through my pile of parts, I found that I did not have a good outside mirror. So I decided to try and see if I could bring one of the damaged mirrors back to life. I picked one that had a major crease on the backside and a couple of small dents. Using a hammer and a blunt chisel I was able to open up the outer fold that holds the mirror in place enough to get the mirror apart. After some hammer and dolly work, a file to knock down the high spots it started to look OK. Some sanding, a bunch of power buffing and polishing and it looks good. Slowly folding the lip back over the mirror with a body hammer and it is ready to use.

post-15138-14150816586765_thumb.jpg

post-15138-14150816587692_thumb.jpg

post-15138-14150816588283_thumb.jpg

post-15138-14150816588863_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

I am sure it is stainless, I just used a very blunt chisel about a inch wide and when around the edge slowly unfolding a bit at a time. I seem to remember it taking a few trips around the edge. You should have a easier time if the glass is already broken. 

• 3 years later...

Siteuneen: FYI the second photo shows the parts, the mirror is not glued in, there is  a rubber backing pad and they just float in the body held by the rolled edge. The metal is quite mailable just take your time.

• Like 1