IGNORED

MSA Short Shift Kit vs. Shortened Shifter?

Oiluj

OK, here's an interesting question...

The MSA short shift kit reduces shift throw to about 60% of stock. I'm concerned the added pieces that raise the shift pivot will add some "slopppiness" to the shifter movement & feel. Drove the Z to meet the dentless repair guy last night and tried moving the shifter from about 1" below the knob and it felt fine.

So I did some guess-timate calcs, and it looks like the same can be obtained by shortening the shifter by 2.75" to 3". This is based on length to the pivot from top of the knob being approximately 10", and shift throw from 1st to 2nd being approximately 5". (I plan to measure these more accurately tonite).

Shortening the stock shifter seems to be a cleaner solution, and would not add any mechanical "play" in the shift mechanism.

Of course, this would require cutting-down a stock shifter, (which I'm slightly uncomfortable doing from a parts preservation perspective). I'm also thinking it might need to bend it backwards about an inch as well to maintain the proper driving position of the shift knob.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Oiluj

We have the MSA short-throw kit on our 240Z. It works great. I don't think it added any sloppyness. It does make the shifting effort higher, but not to apoint of being an issue.

The new shift knob that comes with the kit is about as heavy as the engine and looks too modern in the early Zs.

Julio, I have the original '73 lever in my 5 speed. I had about 1.5" taken off the lever and then had it rethreaded. Not all machinists want to chuck this lever up in the lathe since it is bent and is therefore more difficult to mill than a straight one. However I found a local guy that did it for $40.00. I really like the current throw-much shorter than stock but nowhere near as quick as a modern day Z.