IGNORED

Spindle pin removal tool survey

Jeff G 78

As an update, we used the prototype puller on a set of spindle pins on corroded suspension strut and A-arm assemblies that had been in storage for 15 or more years. Removal of the keys took place the day before removal of the pins. It took about 30 minutes to remove the keys due to corrosion. Pre-application of penetrating oil to the keys prior to attempting to the removal did not occur. I'm sure it would have helped to presoak the keys.

Once the keys were removed, the spindle pins were sprayed with penetrating oil and left to sit overnight. After 24 hours, we removed the both pins in less than 30 minutes. While this may not represent all pin removal attempts, we used the following procedure:

- we removed the nuts on the end of the pins;

- the pin treads were chased with cutting dies;

- the pins were sprayed with penetrating oil at the joints of the strut/A-arm and the key access point;

- a lug nut was attached to one end of the pin using antiseize on the threads;

- the puller was attached to the other side to the pin after applying antiseize to the threads;

- the pin was placed into tension with several turns of the 1.5" nut;

- several blows with a 6 lb sledge were applied to the lug nut to break the corrosion bond while the pin was in tension;

- the 1.5" nut was turned to confirm the pin was moving;

- additional penetrating oil was applied as the pin was being removed;

- the spindle pin was removed from the extraction stud.

I was amazed at how easy it was to remove the pin with this process. As stated, this may not represent all pin removal attempts, but this has been the easiest removal to date and first using this methodology. In my opinion, breaking the corrosion adhesive bond is the key to making the whole process easy. Heating the pin housing has been the traditional method to break the corrosion bond, but I think that using the stud material properties (elastic energy) to your advantage with a force multiplier (love taps with the sledge) and plenty of lubrication can make the job a snap. Placing the pin in tension also makes it a tad bit thinner allowing the penetrating oil to access more pin surface area in turn reducing the overall friction of the removal process.

With the next attempt, we will use an impact wrench on the lug nut to try to spin the pin in place prior to removal. The pin will be lubricated with penetrating oil for 24 hours or more prior to starting this process. The sudden short burst of rotational force may be enough to break the corrosion bond and allow easy pin removal. Too long a burst may twist the end off the pin or torque/twist the pin. Use extreme caution with this process unless you like to use heat or a machine shop on your projects. I do have a favorite machine shop to address theory that does not translate into finished product very well.

Edited by Z-Engineer

Thanks for the report Steve. Was there any sign of mushrooming from the wedge key? I think that can be as bad as the corrosion issue.

There was little deformation on the pin where the key makes contact. At first I thought it was going to be an issue due to the amount of time it took to get the keys to release, but they pulled out just fine.

In addition, we did not try to match the taper of the pin with the stud. Each stud was drilled to an inch in depth and tapped. I have two studs that have not been drilled and tapped and two that have one end drilled and tapped. I may see what it will cost to taper the stud to match the pin to see if it makes a difference.

On the pro-side, you get more surface area contact to provide a more solid connection. On the con-side, it will take more force to separate the pin from the stud once extracted.

On a side note, a previous owner of the parts tried to remove one of the spindle pins. One end of one pin had been rethreaded and had a smaller nut. It just happend to be the first end we tried to attach the puller. I was about to have words with the machine shop. Knowing that over time parts get changed/modified, we tried the other end of the pin and everything was as it should be.

It will be interesting to see how the threads hold up after 20 pins compared to the softer 3/4" rod.

Lee,

The softer stud was also 1". That's why were able to use the same tube, nuts, bearing and washers that we were using before.

I have always wondered if the lock wedge serves any purpose at all. The nuts at each end hold the pin from moving lengthwise and I don't see the harm in allowing it to rotate as long as the nuts are installed with threadlock. One of two thins will happen It will either continue to rotate and will likely never get stuck again, or it will soon find a spot it likes and stay put just like the wedge would have done. When I installed new pins in my '78, I did install the wedge, but I was tempted to leave it out and simply RTV the holes closed to prevent moisture from entering the knuckle.

Jeff,

I’ve really been thinking about this. Each corner of the suspension supports about 25% of the car’s weight. For basic calculations, let’s say about 550 lbs or so. That weight is split between the A-arm and the strut. I don’t know the weight distribution so let’s just say 275 lbs apiece. A force of about 275 lbs placed at a distance of approximately 1.25 feet (length of A-arm) generates about 344 ft-lbs of torque every time the car moves. So the issue comes down to whether or not thread-lock can with stand this type of repeated force and not break free over time. That may also explain the size of the key. I always thought it was rather large for what it does until I did the math.

Too bad the spindle pin was not designed with crown nuts! That would have taken care of the situation. The down side is that should a pin settle in one position and corrodes in place, a pin puller may just pull the ends of the pin due to the reduced amount of cross-sectional material.

I guess my key goes back into place as well.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Is anybody making these in bulk for sale?

There was a "rental/borrowing" program going around for awhile but I am not sure what happened to it. You can build a puller for about $15 worth of pieces from the hardware store. Keep in mind' date=' getting a pin to come out with just a puller is a 50/50 proposition. Many times the pin is rusted in to place and must be pushed out with a press. Many of us have posted threads on the agony associated with getting these pins out. Mine is below if you care to check it out. The best thing you do is mix up a 50/50 mix of auto. trans. fluid and Acetone. Take your mix and apply it to each end of the pin and in the middle hole. You may have to use a spoon, eye dropper, or something of the sort. Do this several times over the course of a a day or two before even attempting to pull the pin out. All of us have had great success in using this mix as a penetrate to aid in getting the pin out.

[url']http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/suspension-steering-s30/48583-spindle-pin-woes.html