IGNORED

Electronic Ignition Help

matt240Zee

Im looking to upgrade to an electrical ignition system on my 1973 240Z. I was thinking of going with an MSD ignition and coil. From what I have read on the forums im getting confused on what I have to do with regards to the distributor and what I need to do to have a successful setup. Can someone please explain everything I need to do to get this working properly and what parts I will need. OR if there is a link to a write up.

Thanks for the help.

I did the same upgrade to my 73 240Z. I installed a 280ZX distributor along with the appropriate coil for electronic ignition and new plugs (BPR6ES NGK's). This writeup helped me quite a bit:

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/distributor/index.html

It's for a 280Z but, can also be applied for the 240Z.

This is, as you have probably discovered in your searches, not the only method for converting from points to electronic. If you do decide to go this route (ie. 280ZX dizzy) you will find a huge amount of info on this site outlining what parts you need as well as how to troubleshoot should things go awry. Just do a search on something like "280ZX distributor upgrade" and you will be inundated with information.

Hi wavemux

How do you find the electronic ignition on your 240Z.

Thanks to both for the info, it has pointed me in the right direction and helped me understand.

Alot of people seem to run the 280ZX distributor but any opinions on the mallory unilite distributor?

Is the 280ZX dizzy a strait swap for the 240Z dizzy? Sorry for the questions just trying to make things clear for myself.

So to clear it up if i get an electronic dizzy, msd ignition, and proper coil, and then replace plugs and wires I should be good to go?

Thanks

matt240zee:

The 280ZX upgrade is pretty much a straight swap. You do need to insure you have the mounting base for the 280ZX dizzy. It is different than the stock 240Z base. I was able to get a rebuilt one from Autozone. You need to insure you specify which year 280ZX dizzy you want. It's important to be clear with them that you want a NON-turbo 1979-1980 dizzy. The re-manufactured units do NOT come with the mounting base. You will need to source this from a junk yard, eBay or your local Z-Car club (assuming you are a member of the Calgary club?). Also, I have heard mixed reports that re-manufactured dizzies did not come with the required E12-80 module (mine came with a new non-Nissan module which works just fine). Make sure you tell them you need this to come with the unit. I was able to get a ratty old dizzy from a parts car, stripped it of it's E12-80 module, base plate, E12-80 module connector and used that as a core at AdvanceAuto (they really don't look very closely at what you give them as a core, I think it just has to be generally "distributor" shaped and have the correct number of holes and they'll take it!)

If you go the 280ZX dizzy route you do not need the MSD ignition. Just the appropriate coil for electronic ignition, plugs, follow the instructions in the links provided previously for wiring everything up (ie. bypass your balast resistor and all). Also, make sure you gap your plugs as per the specs for a 280ZX (.40-.45) and set your timing.

Thanks for the help.

With further forum searching it seems some people are having troubles getting the timing right and the 280ZX dizzy upgrade either works or there is a problem, this has me worried, i dont want to run into trouble. I just want the car to run better.

Any more input would help.

Thanks