IGNORED

What about the Z432-R 100 L fuel tank?

Peter B

JDM-car-parts.com is offering this http://jdm-car-parts.com/item-for-sale/z432-z432r-fairlady-z-flat-panel/. They're not offering a fuel tank to mach, but the tank doesn't look too difficult to replicate as it seems to be constructed from two end plates and a piece of sheetmetal wrapped around.

This is a picture Kats posted,thanks Kats!

post-24715-14150815683724_thumb.jpg

I assume the hight and dept of the fuel tank to be the same as the standarad 60 liter tank so the dimensions are somewhat easy to estimate. It would be nice to know the correct measurements though.

If you have any information on, or pictures of the tank, please post them!

Best regards,

Peter

.....the tank doesn't look too difficult to replicate as it seems to be constructed from two end plates and a piece of sheetmetal wrapped around.

That's kind of true, but it's a little bit more complicated than that. There's quite an interesting structure inside, with supports, baffles and a shielded pickup.

Dimensions were 970mm x 530mm x 270mm at their longest points, but the profile was a kind of rounded wedge shape ( deeper toward the front of the car ) and it was a roller-welded construction. Quite difficult to replicate correctly. Also had two big 'x' shaped strengtheners in the end panels that are similar to inner body 'cheek' panel and firewall strengthener pressings on S30 bodies.

Note also that the original PZR type bodies ( designed to take the 100l tank ) had strengthened mounts for the tank hanging straps both front and rear. 100 litres of petrol is pretty heavy as well as expensive.....

Alan T.

post-2116-14150815694354_thumb.jpg

How did they squeeze a 100 liter fuel tank into a first generation Z? Did they remove the spare tire storage well?

Oh and yes, 100 liters of gasoline (petrol) is expensive. Right now the price locally has fallen to about $1 per liter. (I know, that is cheap by some standards...) The junky old Cadillac that my daughter drives has a tank that is at least that big. When she fills the gas tank the value of the car doubles. ;)

Is the pressing profile of the panel in the advertisement correct?

The ribbed profile is correct ( although it does not have the spare wheel retaining clamp bracket on it ), but the description is mistaken;

'PS30' model 'Fairlady Z432' had the 'normal' spare wheel well and 60 litre tank same as all other S30 models it was contemporary with. Only the 'PS30-SB' model 'Fairlady Z432-R' model had the deleted spare wheel well, flat top panel and 100 litre tank. Nissan works rally cars and works circuit race cars got the flat floor and 100 litre tank too, but with a slightly different tank on the rally cars.

Surprising that 'JDM Car Parts' says the normal 432 had the ribbed "flat" floor and 100 litre tank. That's not correct.

Alan T.

post-2116-14150815734775_thumb.jpg

That's kind of true, but it's a little bit more complicated than that. There's quite an interesting structure inside, with supports, baffles and a shielded pickup.

Dimensions were 970mm x 530mm x 270mm at their longest points, but the profile was a kind of rounded wedge shape ( deeper toward the front of the car ) and it was a roller-welded construction. Quite difficult to replicate correctly. Also had two big 'x' shaped strengtheners in the end panels that are similar to inner body 'cheek' panel and firewall strengthener pressings on S30 bodies.

Note also that the original PZR type bodies ( designed to take the 100l tank ) had strengthened mounts for the tank hanging straps both front and rear. 100 litres of petrol is pretty heavy as well as expensive.....

Alan T.

[/ATTACH]

Thanks Alan!

That's the info I'm looking for, and the picture is great.

It would be great to see the strengthened mounts for the tank and to get an explanation on the structure inside. I feel I need to know a lot more if I'll do this.

Where I live the gas is well over 2$ ... =/

Regards,

Peter

It would be great to see the strengthened mounts for the tank and to get an explanation on the structure inside. I feel I need to know a lot more if I'll do this.

Maybe when I know a little more about you, and a little more about your project.

I try not to put out on a first date.....

The ribbed profile is correct ( although it does not have the spare wheel retaining clamp bracket on it ), but the description is mistaken;

'PS30' model 'Fairlady Z432' had the 'normal' spare wheel well and 60 litre tank same as all other S30 models it was contemporary with. Only the 'PS30-SB' model 'Fairlady Z432-R' model had the deleted spare wheel well, flat top panel and 100 litre tank. Nissan works rally cars and works circuit race cars got the flat floor and 100 litre tank too, but with a slightly different tank on the rally cars.

Surprising that 'JDM Car Parts' says the normal 432 had the ribbed "flat" floor and 100 litre tank. That's not correct.

Alan T.

Hello Alan,

There was an error on our thred. Only Z432 R had 100 Litter gas tank. I am sorry for the confusion.

We currently do not have this flat panel kit for Z432 R due to incredible "hand made" cost from Japan. It sure comes with spare tire braket, which does not appear in our picture.

However, we can have exact duplicated gas tank and straps made in Japan if you have lots of $ to spare..........:ogre:

Esprist

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe when I know a little more about you, and a little more about your project.

I try not to put out on a first date.....

Well, I've had my 1972 240Z since January 2000. It was a California import that didn't run but was "almost" rust free. I had it resprayed and changed colour from the original orange to red, I really regret this and intend to correct it in a somewhat distant future. The car needs a new interior and seats, an engine overhaul and just about everything else refurbished. The modifications I consider where Nissan "options" once up on a time, such as the 100L fuel tank.

The price on the Z432R flat panel seems prohibitively expensive and I don't really have "of $ to spare...........:ogre:" but this part could also be manufactured.

So Alan, I hope this short introduction will do! Tell us what you know!:)

Regards Peter

Edited by Peter B
Formatting