IGNORED

Gentlemen, turn on your engines!

FastWoman

My pet peeve is when an internal combustion 'Engine' is referred to as a 'Motor'.

That never bothers me because I grew up riding MOTORcycles. They aren't called enginecycles are they? Speaking of which, it bothers me when people say they drive their bike.

I think they say turn on because most kids have no mechanical aptitude and cars are nothing more that an appliance. Turn on the stove..Turn on the TV... Turn on the car. Imagine how few kids will ever learn to drive three-pedal cars? Sad...

Imagine how few kids will ever learn to drive three-pedal cars? Sad...
Blame it on the parents. While my son did not inherit the "car-nut" gene from me, he has grown to prefer sporty-driving cars, because that's all we have had for him to learn on. He learned to drive a manual because again, that's all my wife and I own. Now he can't imagine not shifting for himself.

I've taught quite a few people stick on my little '92 Saturn SL2. It's got the easiest transmission I've ever driven. I taught my reluctant stepson on that car and then sent him back to school with the car. He was reluctant because (1) it was old, and (2) it's hilly where he goes to school. He quickly learned that driving the car was a lot of fun. Then we gave him back the automatic station wagon and took back the Saturn. Of course he also likes the wagon, because it holds lots of friends (er... and beer kegs?) and has a huge engine in it. Anyway, we did our job correctly as parents. I think his first "bought" car will probably be stick. Moreover, his second "bought" car will probably be an antique! ;)

Now if I can just teach him enough about the workings of a car that he doesn't say silly things like "turn on" and "turn off."

My pet peeve is when an internal combustion 'Engine' is referred to as a 'Motor'.

Well... Technically an <b>engine</b> is a specific type of <b>motor</b>, one which converts thermal energy into physical energy, force or motion. Ergo all engines are motors, but not all motors are engines.