IGNORED

Gentlemen, turn on your engines!

FastWoman

OK, I just have to ask this, because it sounds pretty funny to me. There seems to be a generational trend for kids to speak of "turning on" or "turning off" an engine, almost as though they were flipping a switch or something. This sounds every bit as peculiar to me as "you guys" and especially "yooz guys" sounded to me as I relocated from South to North.

So do you think this "turning on/off" language related to the relative ease of starting a modern engine? Some cars even have "start" buttons, sometimes even starting by remote control.

Back long before MY day, someone would have to CRANK an engine by hand. No electric starters. I have no question nobody would have referred to "turning on" an engine back then. Rather, it would be "crank it" or "fire it up." It would be very much like starting a lawnmower with a pull cord. As far as I'm aware, nobody "turns on" a lawnmower, but I could be wrong.

In my day, cars were sometimes fussy, and there was a sequence of events even on a well-running car to get the thing fired up. At the very least, it would take an accelerator pedal pump or two, perhaps a pulling of a choke knob, and then a crank. This wouldn't be a "turning on" process, but rather a "starting the engine" process.

But nowadays, I guess you can push a button -- "turn on/off"

So is this where the expression comes from -- from the ease of starting -- from its effortless, one-step, fool-proof nature?

Another question: Do any of you (especially the 240 folks) feel a sense of pride that your startup sequence ISN'T via the mindless push of a button? Wouldn't you shrivel up just a bit inside if you had to tell someone you "turned on/off" your Z? Or is that just me? :cool:

I've never heard anyone say "turn on the car." My kids are between 16 and 23, so I think they would be saying it if it were a popular term around here. And we do have a push button start Altima.

Edited by kjohnson2444
Typo.

Do any of you (especially the 240 folks) feel a sense of pride that your startup sequence ISN'T via the mindless push of a button?
Hah!. I left my 240Z at the muffler shop last week. Warned them to pull it in while the engine was still fairly warm, that way they wouldn't have to use the choke. Push-button start/stop? Indeed... Edited by Arne

"Turn on the car."

For a car to be turned on it would have to have emotions.

I know that I'm guilty of attributing a personality or soul to my Z, but in the end it's just unfeeling metal...not a living thing like Stephen King's Christine.

I've never heard anyone say "turn on the car." My kids are between 16 and 23, so I think they would be saying it if it were a popular term around here. And we do have a push button start Altima.

Well, to be honest, I read the "turn on your car" thing much more on a Miata forum where I'm also active. However, it seems to be mostly kids using the expression -- usually the ones who seem like they would never get their fingernails dirty -- sort of like my stepson who popped a fan belt and told me he "broke a ball bearing or something."

Ha Ha. Is this related to why my wife thinks that I might damage the (her) car by letting out the clutch while the brakes are on to stall the motor instead of simply turning the key to stop the engine?

By the way, I doubt the push button start is new. The push button stop might be, not to mention the RFID keys.