IGNORED

clutch on a 260z

Hi

I just replazced the clutch preasureplate and bearing on my 1974 260z. It now grabs very close to the top on the clutch pedal travel. How can I adjust the pedal so the clutch grabs a little closer to the floor

Thanks

Glenn

Step 1 - Chill cold beverage of preference.

Step 2 - After Step 1 is complete (beverages must be cold), park the Z so that you can open the driver side door as much as possible.

Step 3 - Contort yourself as much as possible to get your head and shoulders close to the clutch pedal.

Step 4 - (I prefer using a pick with a hook end for this.) Remove the cotter key from the clevis pin that holds the clutch pedal to the push rod head on the clutch MC.

Step 5 - Remove the clevis pin. (Note: Make sure you leave these parts some place where you can find them later.)

Step 6 - Loosen or remove (I can't remember if you can get away with just loosening the bolts.) the bolts that hold the clutch MC to the firewall.

Step 7 - Move the lock nut on the clutch MC push rod toward the reservoir. You shouldn't have to move it too far.

Step 8 - Move the push rod head to butt up against the lock nut.

Step 9 - Align the push rod head and the clutch pedal so you can put in the clevis pin.

Step 10 - Get some of that cold beverage because you've probably worked up a sweat.

Step 11 - Tighten the clutch MC to the firewall.

Step 12 - Test travel of clutch pedal. DO NOT TAKE THE CAR FOR A DRIVE, YET.

Step 13 - Readjust the pedal if necessary.

Step 14 - After getting pedal to your liking, put the cotter key back in the clevis pin.

Step 15 - Finish consuming cold beverages.

post-5413-14150815474607_thumb.jpg

post-5413-14150815475157_thumb.jpg

Edited by SteveJ

Funny? Heck, I replaced the clutch master a couple of months ago. It's pretty close to the same procedure, especially with the cold beverages. Given that the OP is in Arizona, the cold beverages are even more critical.

Hey I live in Mississippi and is hot 98 and very but very humid. That is why I thought it was funny the way you describe it, the cold vererage is important before during and after. GA is no different, I also found out that some good tunes helps a lot.

• 2 weeks later...