IGNORED

Lizard Skin Products?

Threehz

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 months later...

Just pick up some micro spheres off ebay, its around $20 and mix it with paint. Its a marine type product, alot of older guys use it for epoxy resins on model airplanes and stuff.

I did that and painted the entire interior of my car, its the same stuff they put in lizard skin, you just brush it on.

http://www.aeromarineproducts.com/?gclid=CJeMr-aFvKsCFWsEQAodHCtjsg

Edited by robftw

• 1 month later...

I've read about the microspheres as a good and inexpensive heat coating. I didn't use it for two reasons; I wanted sound deadener and heat shield and since I'm spending a bunch on a restoration, I didn't want to mess up a base coat and have it delaminate an expensive topcoat. I spent about the same amount of money on a gallon of Glasurit paint as I did on 4 gallons of LizardSkin with an application gun and I'm going to end up with 2 1/2 gallons of color sprayed when all is said and done! The expression "Pony'd Up" has been used about this job... As has "full retard"... :stupid:

The LizardSkin is better with a topcoat so we shot GlamourClear on it as an an experiment and I really like the look. It went from a mid gray to a dark gray/black and shiny. When we shot the interior with color we were using the Glasurit paint and the LizardSkin took a crazy amount of paint before the color took hold. Would have been way cheaper to put a sealer coating between the LizardSkin and the color paint I think. Here are some snaps. Hit the link for larger rez.

Masking and roughing up the POR basecoat...

LizardSkin in interior

Here is the LizardSkin topcoated top and bottom...

Edited by GreenZZZ

Wow old thread resurfaced! Since originally posting this I have seen a car that used it first hand and it definitely is some good stuff. Sadly I probably won't be using it for a long while. (The faithful day in the future when I decide to completely strip and restore the Z, oh yeah and have the money and time to do so!)

Thanks for all the input guys!

Wow old thread resurfaced!

When I want to post on our site, I tend to find old threads and post there instead of starting a new one. I think it makes the site more useable from search engines and definitely helps when you are out in the garage doing a job reading one thread instead of 30 when your fingers are all dirty...