IGNORED

Antenna Mast Plastic string replacement

ajmcforester

3 hours ago, zKars said:

Hi,

Please take a look at my posting dated 03 Jan 2013.  That said,  I suggest  you will find it of value.

Regards,

George

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just want to thank all that came before me in the antenna mast plastic pusher piece part thingy department. After receiving my 155 ft of 0.13 string, the repair took less than 60 minutes given what was previously divulged above. 

Now I'm the one with 151 ft of 0.13 trimmer sting if anyone needs some.... 

IMG_8202.JPG

My poor plastic string was busted in two places

• 3 months later...

ajmcforester,

I hope you don't mind me reopening such an old thread. I am trying to repair/replace the antenna on my 2/71 240Z. My question is how does the line attach to the mast? As you can see from the picture, they were separated so that the mast would go up but not always down. Also, the tip is broken off so it may not even be worth the effort to repair it. I've seen two styles of tips ... a blunt tip and a pointed tip. If I have to look for a replacement, which style is correct for the motor I have marked "Harada 6424"?

Thank you,

--Thomas

20170221_235919.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I took this project on last year. I don't recall what brand of string I used (Gator?) but was able to find it 0.130 diameter. I ended up replacing the complete length of the string which required dismantling the entire antenna mast. Yes, the tip screws off. Some people actually glued them back in the day to keep the tip from being stolen, use heat sparingly though. Each section has a brass insert crimped to keep the mast from disassembling itself when retracted. I used a dremel cut-off wheel and cut just above each crimp (keep the brass insert for later use). 

When fully disassembled you will have a small pin that holds the line in the final antenna section. Remove the pin, if the line does not pull out then just drill out (be sure to be centered). Once you have it out measure what length cut it. The end of your line you plan to insert use 80 grit paper and scuff. I used gorilla glue (thin coat), insert into the antenna section and let cure, once cured then drill hole for pin and force pin through. You're ready for reassembly.   As you reassemble each antenna section insert the brass insert and crimp. You antenna is ready for reassembly.

My housing was corroded so I stuck it in the blasting cabinet, cleaned it up, lubed what needed (gears) lubed and reassembled. Looks and works like new.

20150510_162658.jpg

20150510_162720.jpg

20150510_163030.jpg

20150516_183614.jpg

20150519_164030.jpg

20150519_164046.jpg

20150519_164057.jpg

20150523_141910.jpg

20150523_143529.jpg

20150523_150153.jpg

• Like 2