U-Joints and hammer? - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

U-Joints and hammer?

Featured Replies

Is it OK to tap new U-joints together with a hammer rather than a vice?

I also used antiseize, block of wood as shock absorbing base and a socket for distributing the hammers tapping to the outside of the u-joint cap.

It seemed to work like a charm but most instructions I see use a vice.

:ermm:In a push with just the right size socket this works well. I have done it at the track with no block of wood. A vice or press is the preferred method but lack of proper equipment never keeps a good man down.;) jlp

Blue, make sure and move both caps back against the clips after installed to make sure you have end clearance. jlp

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

I just got finished doing all my half shaft and drive shaft u-joints and replaced them all with new Spicers. I tried a number of different methods, but ultimately found that the U Joint tool that I purchased from Harbor Freight worked the best. I got it on sale and also had a 20% discount coupon and so got it for about $35. Great investment and worked really well even with some of the more difficult joints to free up on removal. Would definitely recommend this if you are going to do your own especially if you can get it on sale.

post-19584-14150814933207_thumb.jpg

Is it OK to tap new U-joints together with a hammer rather than a vice?

Dunno... Tapping with a vice will wear most people out! :cheeky:

Got to love Harbor Frieght! (for some things) I bought this small press from them a few years ago and use it for u joints as well as a lot of other stuff.

post-3797-14150814934004_thumb.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.