IGNORED

Gas Mileage for '73 240Z

atomrat

I was not sure where this should be posted, so I posted it here.

I have a stock '73 240Z, I was wondering what kind of gas mileage I can expect?

I have not started to drive it yet. Still have to get the gas tank repaired.

• 1 month later...

My 73 240 all stock 173,000 mi. is getting about 26mpg combined city and highway.

Originally posted by atomrat:

I was not sure where this should be posted, so I posted it here.

I have a stock '73 240Z, I was wondering what kind of gas mileage I can expect?

I have not started to drive it yet. Still have to get the gas tank repaired.

[This message has been edited by SoCalZ (edited 08-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by SoCalZ (edited 08-11-2000).]

• 3 weeks later...

I have a '73 with no smog, 72 SU's, stock intake and exhaust('72 manafolds) and I get between 18 and 22 combined depending on my mood and the density of traffic. I have gotten as little as 16 and I always use premium gas. I have also changed distributors to a single point and removed all advance retard switching units, thermo couplings and wiring for the auto(rebuilt) transmission with impressive performance enhancments. Will need to rotate tires soon...

• 2 months later...

Hearing what you guys have to say makes me jealous! I have a completely stock 72 240z and im getting around 14-15mpg city/highway mixed. Perhaps im running a little rich? The car runs fine except i have to get it pretty warm before i can let off the choke. Normally I have to drive it around for 10 minutes with the choke out so it wont bog when accelerating. I have a crane xr700 electronic ignition and a p60 coil on the way to my house via ups right now. Hopefully this will help some. I'll have to change my mixture settings. BTW I just got the car a couple months ago and i love it, except for the really crappy wet traction. My suspension is shot anyway...

------------------

Ben

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by genbean

Hearing what you guys have to say makes me jealous! I have a completely stock 72 240z and im getting around 14-15mpg city/highway mixed. Perhaps im running a little rich? The car runs fine except i have to get it pretty warm before i can let off the choke. Normally I have to drive it around for 10 minutes with the choke out so it wont bog when accelerating. I have a crane xr700 electronic ignition and a p60 coil on the way to my house via ups right now. Hopefully this will help some. I'll have to change my mixture settings. BTW I just got the car a couple months ago and i love it, except for the really crappy wet traction. My suspension is shot anyway...

------------------

Ben

Sounds like you have the exact same car as me.. :) only had mine a week, but it also takes about ten minutes no matter what before i can turn the choke of.. which isnt to bad (until i forget about it being on), will probably have to change spark plugs more often, but would like to fix it. Could you send me a message if you get yer problem fixed? i'll do the same if i get mine fixed. Was thinking of adjusting the carbs, but i realized i didnt know jack about them, will soon enough... I love the car, i wish i would've bought one sooner..

http://www.240z.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2683#post2683 pics of car.

• 4 years later...

Hmm, I am getting really bad gas mileage. I was wondering if you guys could pin point my problem.

engine specs:

-no smog equip

-oem electronic distributer (10 over and a 36 max. I am not sure what that means)

-msd blaster coil.

-my mechanic convinced me to use 20w50 oil. I think I am going to change back to 10w 30.

-72' SU carbs

-oem exhaust manifold

- I do have ac, but I hardly use it.

The car drives great, but I get 13-18 combined driving and I am getting 10mpg city. I love the car, but I hate to fillup as much as I do. It was not this bad before I had the work done on my car (exhaust manifold, new coil and distributer, oil change, and removal of air tube.)

please help.

-Ben

The highest reading I've achieved in my 78 was 27.53 and the low is 19.08 under normal conditions. It dropped to about 17.5 when I had a bad EFI relay and 16.8 when I had a bad cold start valve. I know this thread is about carbed cars but I was responding basically to Hrududu

My triple Webers get 18 on the Interstate. Never calculated the in-town mileage. However, on a road trip to Atlanta, my friends 72 with the SU's got 1/3 better mileage than me. We were travelling together; if I got 12 gallons at a gas stop to fill up, he got 8.

With my old L-24 with many miles on her she clocked a steady 23 on the hiway and 19 to 20 in town. All stock engine accept for a '79 ZX ignition and Round tops with F-54 needles . '73 Z automatic . v12horse , What air tube was removed ? Gary