IGNORED

Occasional starter failure

Reverend

I bought my z from california few years back and it has this problem now and then. Sometimes starter just wont say anything, and if you wait like 20 secs, it starts normally. Starter is about 10 years old according to service history. Solenoid going bad or is the problem elsewhere?

I bought my z from california few years back and it has this problem now and then. Sometimes starter just wont say anything, and if you wait like 20 secs, it starts normally. Starter is about 10 years old according to service history. Solenoid going bad or is the problem elsewhere?

Check battery terminal and the ground. And then solenoid can be taken apart and cleaned.:)

Aside from the other advice, sometimes Starters can get a short on the stator. Occasionally, the short lines up just right and then you get nothing.

The Solenoid is more likely to be the culprit anyway - you could cleanup the starter and replace the Solenoid and see if things improve.

I have a very loud distinct clicking sound and after several attempts it will crank I found that the main terminal from the battery is loose at the solenoid and the plastic front is

brittle so I will replace the starter and cables.

• 1 month later...

It could simply be that the contacts in the ignition switch are worn and are acting intermittently.

Try turning the key 100%, 95%, 90%,85%, 80% etc to full stop when you start the car.

My 77 had this problem but it was different, if I turned the key all the way to full stop, the starter would turn but no spark. If I turned ~ 85% of the way I would get start and spark.

You can easily replace this switch behind the key.

The circuit is very simple: reference:http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/wiringdiagrams/72_240z_wiring.pdf

1. Battery voltage goes to ignition switch on WR (white with red stripe) wire to pin 3 on the ignition switch

2. In position 2R (Start) the switch applies voltage from pin 3 to pins 1 BY (Black stipe on Yellow) and 5 GW (Green stripe on White)

3. Pin 1 BY wire goes directly to the starter solenoid

4. Pin 5 GW applies voltage to the coil after passing through the tachometer and connecting to a BW (Black Stripe on White) wire

Check the condition of the Black/Yellow (BY) wire and contacts from ignition switch to the starter.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a problem similar to yours in a 260Z that I had. I could never find the problem. I replaced the starter several times and that was not the problem. Most likely there is corrosion or a bad contact somewhere in the circuit. The solution I found was to buy a 6 volt solenoid from the autoparts store and wire it into the starter circuit. It takes 12V to trip the solenoid in the factory starter, but you may be getting only 10 of 11V. The 6 volt soleid which you can wire in without cutting or alterning any of the factory wiring, should solve your problem.