IGNORED

New 240Z build

steve91tt

Distributor upgrades will help a lot, also consider Modern Coil packs.

Also I forgot what they call the system, but it uses multiple coils, and you set up to fire twice in the engine rotation the exhaust closed and open Usually if the battery is moved to the back the setup is place on the engine battery mount on Z cars I've seen with this system. It is great with high rev engines.

• 1 month later...

I've been working hard over the past few weeks on what my kids are now calling "Lightning Mcgreen". I tore out most of the suspension and drive train to make sure everything was up to snuff. Mostly cleaning and painting as well as replacing seals, gaskets and bushings. The only surprises so far have been a bad rear wheel bearing and a cracked harmonic balancer. Overall I am very impressed with how solid this car is. She's not much to look at but she has solid bones.;)

The fuel system was a mess but I PRO15'ed the tank, replaced rubber and flushed metal. All good now.

I've got a set of Mikuni triples on order but they won't be here for another two weeks. In the mean time I dropped on a set of SU's to see if the motor would run.

Started it up for the first time since 1989 this afternoon. It lives!

I was pleasantly surprised at how well it started. I don't even have the choke hooked up and fired right up with strong oil pressure no smoke. These little engines are built like tanks!

Still waiting on brake parts so I can't test drive her until next weekend. Can't wait!:classic:

Steve -

Best of luck on your project. Some great pic's of your helper above. Those are some good times! You may want to think about getting a throttle cable from Wolf Creek or Summit (Summit was $20.00 cheaper) - my throttle hook up was a disaster and ended up costing me $125.00 for an extra piece that was unusable and could not get a credit for it - I was a little pissed...........if I can assist any give me a PM. Are you getting a Mikuni complete set up? Be careful with a short intake - you will need to get shortened studs due to the fact the current studs will not line up so you can bolt them on (not enough room).

I am getting the complete Mikuni setup from Wolf Creek. I have the longer cannon intake on order with a Lokar throttle cable. Do I need shorter studs with the long intake as well? If so where did you source them from?

I still have to figure out a routing for the fuel line(s) and come up with some sort of heat shield. I have the fuel pressure regulator temporarily mounted near the stock filter with a couple of 1/4" lines from it to the SU's. Very temporary setup. I need to find a way of safely feeding the triples with cool fuel.

For the heat shield I was thinking of fabricating something out of sheet metal and insulation. I guess I'll have to wait to see what the intake looks like.

That engine sounds quite healthy Steve.

I agree with Mitchell. Times like this are the most important thing you can do with kids.

It's been a long time since mine were that age, but I have fond memorys of working on dune buggys and motorbikes together.

Good times for sure.

Brian.

Steve -

Have you visited my link to Wolf Creek? Are you interested in the fuel rail and heat shield that I used? Let me know and I can give you my contact's name so you can get the same heat shield and fuel rail I used if you are interested - total costing was approx $170 including shipping from Japan.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?42045-Wolf-Creek-Racing-Mikuni-40-spost-14147-14150815269889_thumb.jpg

I just updated my original post on the Mikuni's - contact info there

With the longer Cannons you may not need the shortened studs.........

Edited by Travel'n Man