IGNORED

starter problem

zhead240

recently having problem starting my zed. turn key and the starter will whizz. i have to try a few times for starter to turn and start car. i had the same trouble before with the wife's 68 mustang. after replacing a selinoid on her car i found out it was a dead cell in the battery. replaced battery and problem fixed. i'm thinking, ok i need a new battery for the zed. i have an optima red top that's 7 years old. had it checked and it hold 400 amps which is half of it's output. does this mean i need to replace it, or should i try replacing the selinoid first? is 7 years on an optima a reasonable life span? ( only used 6 months a year)

ps- the po put in a new starter just before i got it in 2005, so i don't think it's the problem

post-5718-14150814675582_thumb.jpg

I would bet your red top optima is ready for recycling.

Batteries in my neighborhood tend to show their age after 3-years and most die before they are 4.

Very simple battery hold down for the Optima ......... I am sure it works fine.

I recently trashed my non-stock hold down and created similar setup using aluminum 90-deg bend stock and modified Auto store holder for additional stiffness and retention.

post-1760-14150814680058_thumb.jpg

first off i checked the battery conections. the clamp to the kill switch would wiggle a titch so i tighten it up. problem remained. then i removed the switch and hooked up directly, didn't help. now i'm in the process of charging a newer spare battery that i will try tomorrow to see if that works. 3 year life span for a battery?? wow, i would expect more use that that.

From your description I still believe it to be starter, ignition or connection issue.

On another note, I have lake toys, boat, jet ski, riding mower etc... I use them one month per year. I used to go through batteries every couple of years. I purchased battery cyclers for all the toys and have gotten 7 years+ of life out of all of the batteries. jlp

tried new battery- did not work. even had that battery checked to make sure it didn't have a bad cell. i guess next is a new soleniod then new starter, or should i just get both and be done with it.

Had a similar problem with my Yellow Z about a week ago and the battery is less than 6 months old. Turned out to be the small wire attaching to the solenoid was not making good contact with the solenoid tab. I crimped the contact a bit (female connector on wire) to make sure I got a good connection. Problem fixed.

Had similar issue with fuel level connectors on silver Z. Just crimped the connector a bit so I got good contact and all works well. Corrosion sets up over time in these things.

Rich

If you want to check out the solenoid and or ignition wiring take a remote momentary switch connect to the positive battery post and to the connection on the solenoid when you push the button it should engage and spin the starter, if not the problem is in the starter or solenoid. If it does it is in the ignition or ignition wiring. It's that simple.:bulb: jlp

A remote switch is a must have for valve adjustment so if you don't have one pick one up!;)