IGNORED

Wolf Creek Racing - Mikuni 40's

Rich -

From my understanding talking to Todd at Wolf Racing and Dave at Rebello's they should generate around 40 additional horsepower - my engine output should be close to 270 horsepower with the engine rebuild from last year and the head work from Rebello's. I could have pulled some more horsepower out of it but really no need since my intentions are not to track this car. A different intake manifold would have gotten my closer to 300hp. At some point I will dyno it but just so my plugs are looking good once I get the install done I'm really happy where I am currently. Next years project will be a 5 speed / r200 / upgraded half shafts.

Hopefully to have this finished up over the weekend - it should just take a couple of hours to get everything hooked up and sync'd.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44799[/ATTACH]

So, what was done to the motor to get it up to 270HP? Which block did you start with?

Wow!! I've heard my SU's for the past several years - I heard the sound of Mikuni's tonight!!

FANTASTIC is all I can say!!

If you have thought about it.......do it!! Finalizing timing - idle and air tomorrow...........I'm really fired up!! I had to go back to regular fuel line instead of the black braided - a lot of fuel line leaks - correct pressure at 3psi.

Marty - Yes - the air horns do have actual filters on them - I would not want to drive on a dirt or gravel road - nor do I plan on it. Check out my garage - the engine is detailed there........N42 Block

Damn - this is going to be exciting!:cool:

post-14147-1415081473215_thumb.jpg

post-14147-14150814732853_thumb.jpg

Just wanted to catch everybody up on this install

Power band and torque is fantastic - no real heavy fuel smell as I have heard in the past with triples - sound is excellent - fairly quiet until you get on it and then that beautiful sound of air and exhaust. Highly recommended for anybody that is looking to grab some more HP and Torque out of their engine. Much more power than the SU's had but this is a step up from SU's and should have more power IMO.

Set up:

Mikuni 40mm Triples

Mikuni Air Horns 50mm long / 80mm dia.

Custom Stack Filters

Mikuni Manifold

Carter Fuel Pump: P4070 (a little loud)

Holley Fuel Regulator: 12-804

Fuel Pressure Gauge: 2178

Inline Glass Fuel Filter

Fuel Line: 8mm or 5/16th

Fuel Pump Plate

Pertronix Ignition

3.0 ohms Coil

Triple Fuel Rail from Japan

Heat Shield from Japan

Heat Barrier: Thermo Tec-13575

Lokar Throttle Kit: LOK-TC-1000U

K&N Filters Breathers -

Fuel Pump Cut-Out Switch w/relay

Manifold Gasket

Timing Set @ 12-14degree at 1000 RPM just to get a base setting - final setting was 36 degree at 3000 RPM

No vacuum advance

Spark Plug gap set @ .45

Fuel Pressure at 3 PSI

post-14147-14150814786802_thumb.jpg

post-14147-14150814784977_thumb.jpg

post-14147-14150814785579_thumb.jpg

post-14147-14150814786177_thumb.jpg

Edited by Travel'n Man

Mike -

Todd at Wolf Creek Racing could not get the heat shield or the fuel rail. I had to hook up with a guy from Japan to buy and ship it to me. There is a source for the heat shield but I could not find the 3 barb fuel rail anywhere in the states at all.

And what's the source and pricing? I have a set of trip Mikuni 44s from Todd myself. :)

These carbs bring the entire rebuilt engine to life. The sound of the climbing RPM's and the de-acceleration is fantastic!!........head and cam work makeup part of all that along with the headers and exhaust system.

3 of my plugs were a little on the phat side so I backed off the setting just a little - I'll run 100 miles or so and then re-read all 6. I guess on the initial set up some of my setting were off a 1/4 turn or so.

Fuel consumption is all based on your right foot......;)

Over all this was Z$ well spent!!post-14147-1415081485835_thumb.jpg

Every 100 miles I roll I am pulling plugs and reading - tweaking each cylinder fuel setting to get the nice light tan/grayish top of the plug. The beautiful thing about these is there is a setting for each plug - they are dead on or not - once your plug is reading correctly you are done.

post-14147-14150814938033_thumb.jpg

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Spark_plug_reading.html

Edited by Travel'n Man

• 2 weeks later...

She is a absolute thrill to drive every time I start the ignition!! She gets a lot of nods and grins at car shows as well. I've had several people ask me to fire her up just so they can hear the Mikuni triples and the air flow...........you gotta love it!

• 2 weeks later...