IGNORED

1978 280Z FACTORY convertible!! Looking for some info

chuckc

I'm more curious about his uncle did the turbo modification, way back then, without the internet and the various Z car forums that we have available today.

I haven't seen a D&M marine intake referred to before. The connection with Air Research sounds interesting too. Sounds like a unique setup.

He got the D&M intake because that was the only thing that would bolt up with matching port holes. After telling Air Research what he had done he came home from work about 6 months later and had a new Intake on his front door for helping them figure out how to get it to work. All in all its fun to drive and turns a lot of heads.

Part of why I came here was because I had a guy track this car down and wanted to know if I wanted to sell it. He remembered it from when my Uncle used to work on his old Z car (20 plus years ago). I never looked into what the car was and figured I better see what I had. Going from memory and what he had writen down i thought it was a little more unique. Not sure if I'm going to sell it or not. However, everything is for sale for the right price... :D

Thanks for everyone providing feedback!

P.S. It has just shy of 40,000 original miles... I'll get some pics posted with the top up next time I go to the shop.

The guy who originally owned ZTherapy (USAF guy) used to build convertibles in the PNW. What was his name? I think he was at Mountain Home AFB when he decided to get out of the Z business or something... But I recall that he built convertibles.

The guy who originally owned ZTherapy (USAF guy) used to build convertibles in the PNW. What was his name? I think he was at Mountain Home AFB when he decided to get out of the Z business or something... But I recall that he built convertibles.

Not sure. I've lived in WA my entire life and never heard of Mountain Home AFB. We have Macord AFB. Sure is neat to hear all the history on this site!

I generally don't like the convertible versions of Zs but this one is really neet and I like that it has unique family history. Unless you are tight for cash or just don't like it, I would keep it. It is really a sweet looking car and has such low miles. Love the body kit on it too, it is really well done.

I ran into a guy with a convertible z at my Dad's gas station a year or two back. He said he was from Bellevue, WA if I remember correctly. He had his z shipped off brand new to have it converted. I don't recall where he had the work done. I was thinking Illinois for some reason. Although this is not a good picture it appears to have a similar trunk/luggage rack. Hard to see it, but it has an inserted panel under the rack like the car above.

picture.php?albumid=112&pictureid=2829

Interesting! My uncle told me that there was a stock orange Z car that a guy out of Yakima had and he thought it was the last Convertible still on the road until he tracked down my uncles. (back in the late 90's early 2000's) He mad the trip up to see the one I have now. Might be the same guy. Good looking car to say the least!

I generally don't like the convertible versions of Zs but this one is really neet and I like that it has unique family history. Unless you are tight for cash or just don't like it, I would keep it. It is really a sweet looking car and has such low miles. Love the body kit on it too, it is really well done.

Thanks! Not tight on cash. However, the thing just sits… If it went to the right home and right money I would let it go. Just feel like someone else would appreciate it more. I’m a typical car guy. I’m not in love with any car, but I have to many… =) Well I take that back… I am in love with this car… =) 5 year project!

post-24021-14150814439863_thumb.jpg

post-24021-14150814440541_thumb.jpg

post-24021-14150814440638_thumb.jpg

Thanks! Not tight on cash. However, the thing just sits… If it went to the right home and right money I would let it go. Just feel like someone else would appreciate it more. I’m a typical car guy. I’m not in love with any car, but I have to many… =) Well I take that back… I am in love with this car… =) 5 year project!

I understand, I love hot rods, I never miss the Grand National Roadster Show, I spend last Saturday at the Good Guys event at Del Mar CA. I love my Z but want a hot rod so bad. That is a beautiful sedan. Put your Z up for sale, I am sure it will get around $8K or so. What do others think?

I understand, I love hot rods, I never miss the Grand National Roadster Show, I spend last Saturday at the Good Guys event at Del Mar CA. I love my Z but want a hot rod so bad. That is a beautiful sedan. Put your Z up for sale, I am sure it will get around $8K or so. What do others think?

We won our class at the grand national with the Vicky in 2009. My dad had for about 30 years in shambles. Told him we either do something with it or get it out of my garage! That was the final result.

• 3 weeks later...