IGNORED

Newbie, Really a Newbie 1978 280Z 2+2

MBman

So I will come clean, I am an old Mercedes guy , have been for years. Really have liked the "Z"'s through the years and picked up a 78 280Z with 68K on the clock from the original owner. SHe is a bit rusty but runs good.

I am in the early stages of "learning all I can" and starting here. Your forum looks active and full of good people and information.

I will be posting many questions I am sure !

The first of which - what are good manuals, resources for these cars. I am handy with tools, and familiar with the injection system of this car since it is the same of the MB's of the Era. I plan to tear it down interior and exterior so let the fun begin.

More posts from me in the days to come over in the 280Z forum section

Love to hear about this car from those in the know

Thanks in advance!

z.jpg

z2.jpg

z3.jpg

z4.jpg

WELCOME MBMan

The interior appears to be in really nice shape. My very first Z was a 1982 2+2 with T-tops and all the nice goodies inside. Sometimes I wish I still had it. If the car has no mechanical issues then I would definitely start on the rust because it will only get worse, that is if you plan to keep it. Many exterior body panels are available from various venders. If possible keep it inside especially when you begin work in earnest so at least the cancer will slow down. Have a good look under the carpets and under the dashboard. Take that windshield wiper cowl off and look inside ther as well. Also keep a close eye on this forum. The members here are very knowledgeable and always willing to help. Good Luck!

Hey Ron,

As an old Mercedes guy I'd think you would be scratching your head saying "gee that engine sure looks familiar".... The engineering side of the Datsun effort bought the L series design from MB after they were unsucsessful in making it work.The 6 cylinder L motors side by side with an MB 4 looks like they were stamped out with a cookie cutter.

Welcome to the board...

yes , rust is the first deal, I will be able to keep it inside. I am going to gut interior and fix rust as I go. where are the worse underbody trouble spots I should check? frame rails or other? True on the engine - piece of cake haha

I guess I should start a thread on the car forum side!

Thanks again , glad to be here

MBman

The cancer in most areas will be obvious. Bet underneath it and inspect visually. Push on the bottom anywhere you can touch to see if it feels soft and mushy. Check the rear wheel archs thoroughly. These cars were repaired back durin a time when they just wanted to turn a profit at the body shop no real care taken by the owner or the shop person. Many people just applied a bandage and got paid. The hatch sill is a common area also. Remove all the interior plastic pieces behind the seats and check all those void spaces. A 2+2 has a little more space inside so I would remove all the seats as well. Good Luck!

thanks so far, the car will be to my shop in a few days, so I will be able to get her up on ramps and such. Is this a car worth restoring. I know some of my MB's it is more of a labor of love than anything else , might break even , may make a few dollars. Does this particular model have a following? Is the engine and drive train solid peformer? I know the 2+2 was not the most coveted Z but i kinda like it.

My 72 Mercedes 450, I have restored to concours level, but even with that it would be hard to sell it for what I have in it, but boy has it been fun.

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg189/meltedpanda/Keeneland%20Concours/

Edited by MBman

Thank you, well as luck would have it I have had an issue getting it transported to my place. I will return when she gets home, and will post in the 280Z forum. Till then keep the suggestions coming !