IGNORED

Pacesetter headers?

George Sabbag

"Power rose from 60 kw@wheels to 66 Kw@wheels with just the carb upgrade. The exhaust was totally stock. Then I changed the exhaust to headers (6-2-1) and a 2.5 inch pipe and the power rose to 86kw@wheels."

That was on a stock L20A right? By Bosch Eddy Current Dyno Check, my L20A all bone stock in my 75 Fairlady Z(s) spun up at 71.34 kw (97PS)! Those numbers weren't an L28, please god tell me they weren't!

As for "Pacesetter"---define "Total Crap" because, offhand I'd use that exactly to describe them. And compared to the stuff out of the JDM (or even the current series MSA Offerings) that is doubly true. I've taken them off cars before put the stock systems back on and gotten more HP using only the 2.5" crush-bent exhaust.

Headers really aren't for 'stock' engines. I have them now on my 260Z becuse the stock manifold cracked due to the new MSA exhaust design hanging that damnable three-bolt collector down as a low snag-point and hitting something. The car lost bottom end, during cold running it's horrible compared to the stock header until totally warmed up. Really, the car does pull on the top end, but no more so than the stock system when used with the same exhaust. Because I had to richen the mixture due to the flat spot off-idle they produced, the float bowls tend to suck down a bit quicker.

The added noise draws a LOT of attention, the exhaust is considerably more harsh out the back, and the new MSA design exhaust is not conducive to installing my trusty glasspack under the tranny. If you do get an extractor, the mandrel bent exhaust back from it to the rear of the car is best custom constructed now, IMO.

I have driven this car since 1995, in some instances putting 18,000 miles on it in as little as three weeks. It doesn't look like much, but it goes. Really all the headers have done for me is make it way louder and more touchy when cold. The gas mileage did change, but I attruibute that more to the old exhaust compared to the new one. If I'd had a stock 260 Manifold to put back on it, I would have. And when I'm done with this one, it will be up for sale. The noise isn't worth it. The performance has not perceptibly changed from what it was before.

As an aside, you added headers to a car with RICHER FUEL (4 bbl)---that is a considerable difference than putting them on a stocker like I did. It coincides exactly with your experience: you added more fuel, then added extractors and got a power bump. I added extractors and it lost power, and I had to richen the mix considerably to even get it back to drivable...and I STILL have to drive around withthe choke lever engaged FAR longer than I did with the stock manifold.

Edited by Tony D
Added the aside...

If I were to drive for 8 hours a day 5 days a week like a courier or taxi driver, that would be 40 hours.

If I drove for 3 weeks like that it would be 120 hours.

If I were to travel 18000 miles in that time, I would need to be going 150mph.

My experiences are mine. I report back what I know to be true with what I have done with my car. I too have owned and driven this kind of vehicle for 25 years. Your experiences are different to mine and that's cool. Each has their own opinion.

And it was an L28S....the same engine I showed you when you were at my place. Behind an auto with an asthmatic Hitatchi 2 barrel on an emissions manifold and pidly exhaust with a stock cam head compression and points ignition. Yes it was 60kw's........maybe the dyno needed recalibration but I always went to the same guy so all testing was consistant from that point. Error is error if its always the same error factored in each time...yes? Take it as relative values compared to absolute then?

Thanks Tony for your constructive thoughts.

:beer:

PS Dunno about you guys complaining about the noise, they're friggin sports cars, not Geo Metro's (or Cedrics) ;) and who honestly doesn't love the sound of an inline 6 like ours. Don't you want your hot girlfriend to wear short skirts and an open top if she's "built' for it. LOL c'mon.

Edited by ozconnection

I personally am NOT TOO KEEN on the 3 into 1 fabrication. There is not much room under the car for the exhaust to exit the engine bay and consideration must be given to the steering shaft and the TC rod connection. A 6 into 1 alleviates the headache of custom fitting.

• 1 month later...

I'll chime in to bump the thread as this is something I'm researching as well. The folks at Rebello racing told me that they use Pacesetter headers on many of their street L series builds. On one hand, public opinion matters and I have also heard that Pacesetter has not been known for its quality over the decades. On the other hand, if a builder with decades of experience in the right combination of goodies to get power from an L series is using them regularly, how crappy can the headers really be?

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...
Here it is 2017 and Rebello is still selling Pacesetter Headers. Dave told me he likes the biggest primaries he can find. These are 1 5/8" OD.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Classic Zcar Club mobile

This is helpful to me as well. I have a 73 240z running all the finest emission controls of the early 70s! Trying to move to earlier carbs ( once I get a few runs with my flat tops thanks to SteveJ for the floats) but trying to see what it will take and what exhaust options there are. Good deals on the pace setter headers so I'm considering them as well. I have been hunting for my z for 20 years and excited to talk options with one of my own. Cheers all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk