IGNORED

Horn pad inner foam

Decoy12

Hello all, today while driving, I had to use the horn. When I pushed the horn pad in, I noticed it pop out of one side. After I got home I tried to push it back in (after removing the horn fuse of course) and the horn pad popped off all together and I noticed the foam inside which I assume is used to keep it in place broke off. Now I have a foam ring about 2/3 the circumference of the pad. I guess after 40 years of use it finally gave way.

Does anyone have a remedy for this? Or do I need to drop $$ on a new horn pad? Thanks.

Edited by Decoy12

I'd replace it, as it's not very useful trying to patch rotted materials.

I remember when I was a kid in my '75 Z. The guy in front of me didn't notice the green light, so I gave him what I intended to be a short, friendly mini-beep. The horn pad came apart and jammed the horn, which blew continuously, and the pad dropped into my lap. The situation quickly escalated into a minor road rage incident, where the guy dropped back beside me (after we were moving, and as I was desperately looking for a place to pull off), rolled down his window, and started screaming at me. I picked up the horn pad and waved it at him to show him that my horn came apart. He interpreted that as an aggressive gesture and became even angrier. Fortunately he left the situation, disgusted with me. I pulled off and was able to silence the offending horn.

Yeah, just replace it. It's a safety item. ;)

Hey Sarah thanks for the advice and for sharing your story! That guy sounded like a jerk, I can understand being upset by a horn constantly going off, but becoming angrier when you're holding the horn button? Men need to be respectful to women, especially ones that drive Zs LOL.

The horn certainly is a safety item, too bad it gave out the first time I used it while driving. At least it is something easily replaced, and it could have been worse.

Michael. I have a spare you can have, The one I have is not the same as a 1971 horn pad. It is larger than my 71 horn pad. Is a 72 horn pad different than a 71? If so I live in Pomona too. No shipping charges.

Hey Mr. Taylor, I'll send you a PM!

I know this isn't a story-time thread, but I thought I'd piggyback Sarah's story: I restored a steering wheel this past winter and installed it, along with a 'new' turn signal stalk (my brass pin was broken & gone). I drove the car last weekend for the first time since having done that (sunny day during the winter, car needed some love) only to find out that something must be bent: anytime the steering wheel goes by 2:00 or 10:00 during a turn, the horn beeps. It was a short, very awkward drive through the neighborhood, especially as I turned back onto my street (beeeep) only to find a pack of (presumably) high-school age girls at the corner. Yikes.

I know this isn't a story-time thread, but I thought I'd piggyback Sarah's story.

Hey ksbeta, nothing wrong with sharing your story! I have already been offered solutions to my problem by the awesome people here. I mean if you can't share your horn stories here, then where can you? I hope you get that fixed soon, driving Z's shouldn't be an awkward experience :paranoid: