IGNORED

Cleaning parts

GunnerRob

After seeing all the beautiful pictures some of you have posted showing pristine clean engines and all the accompanying components in the engine compartment, I was wondering, how do you get them to look like they came from the factory without actually buying them new?

I haven't taken down an engine or had to clean car parts since I was a kid back in the seventies! And back then we didtn't have to look over our shoulder to make sure the EPA wasn't watching us cleaning parts in a can of gasoline, then pouring it down the drain.

What tools do you use to clean your parts?

What do you do with the chemicals you use for cleaning?

Can the parts be cleaned to near new condition or do you get them close, then have them replated?

A guy I know has a cabinet sand blaster. Is that something I should look into getting/using?

Any help is appreciated.:classic:

BTW, I live in California. Home of the environment police.

Yes, the EPA is a real pain in the well neck at times. I cant say for sure on the sandblaster cabinet. I own a mac sandblaster mine is more for the body parts not the inclosed one. I have used them and been very happy with the ease of the work. But you can only blast what fits in the box. If I was looking at spending money for cleaning smaller parts and keeping the epa happy I would look into a parts cleaner. They are not alot of money and can make life easy vs. a drip pan and can of brake parts cleaner.

here is a link if you would like to see what I am doing with my carbs. I will post some more photos of the intake soon.

http://www.240z.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4492

A decent parts cleaner is a good investment, you can pick one up for about 100 bucks from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool. I bought a 20 gallon parts cleaner from Northern and use a cleaning solution that is biodegradable and is mixed with water in it and it works very well. Just don't let it freeeze! I did and it took the paint right off the tank of the parts cleaner. Now it's coated with POR-15!

A blasting cabinet is also a good investment, you can clean not only steel parts, but with glass bead you can do a nice job on the aluminum parts and have them looking almost like new in no time.

With these two and a few small hand tools with abrasive discs, you should be able to tackle most any job.

I guess I'm the cheap ba$tard.

I always start my project with good old Soap and Water. Nothing incredibly fancy either, just the good old car-wash solution that I use to give the car it's first wash of the year (my daily driver). The soap claims to be bio-degradeable, it is hot fluorescent pink in color, and it only takes an ounce or two per 3-5 gallons.

I have mixed it with HOT water and also made super concentrated solutions of the stuff at times, but usually the soap and water and some elbow grease and it removes the bulk of the dirt.

Now granted, I'm not getting into the engine compartment and tackling turning a grease turd into a beautiful machine as some of these guys have done.

2¢

Your not the only one that goes the "economically responsible" route:stupid:

I use a lot of Simple Green, it one of the best all purpose cleaners I have found. You can dilute it and use it on seats and carpets to get out stains. Or you can use it full strength and de-grease an engine or transmission quite well. It works great through a pressure washer too....:cheeky:

I use TSP as a parts cleaner. I got the idea when I was in the environmental clean up business and I noticed that a solution of TSP and water would dissolve asphalt. You can get it at any hardware store. Please be carefull and follow the cautions on the label because it will remove the oil from your skin. AND it is not nice to paint!