IGNORED

Overseas sale

dat240z71

I have my car for sale I have be in contact with a guy from Europe that wants to buy my 240z. I have read about all the scams in those kind of sale has anyone sold a car to someone out of the country before if so what advice can you give me. I told him no wire transfers, no checks for more than the asking price. I was thinking about a cashier check. What we have talked about is he send me chasers check (fedx DHL UPS ) for half the money I will deposit and see if it clears he said he has a friend in Colorado that's getting married in April and when he comes to wedding he will being the other half and make shipping arrangements. I told him he's not getting the car or the title until I have my funds in full in U.S. dollars.What do you guy think.

Edited by dat240z71

Tell him he'll need to pay off the balance in cash. A cashier's check can be no good. (I'm not talking about forgeries, which can happen too.)

Call your bank to ask them how long you must wait to be dead certain the funds are good for the first half of the payment.

Why no wired funds? Secure and the money will be your account the next day.

Dean

He's right you don't want to be the sender, but you can receive. PayPal can also be an option. If he has a friend in Colorado maybe he buys the car on books but he gives the money t his friend. Then you have someone in the US if the sale goes bad

Interest in Classic 240Z's is growing in Europe and the Z's are showing up in more Concours events there.

I've helped a couple of guys in Europe locate and buy 240Z's. One of them came to the 40th Anniversary Celebration of the Z Car this past year in Nashville.

In both cases the buyers had a Broker here in the US that handled paying for the car and then picking it up and shipping it to Europe. The sellers were paid with a Cashiers Check drawn on a US Bank by the Broker, and the car was picked up a few weeks later, well after the checks cleared.

Do you write personal checks for any reason? If you do, anyone that gets them has your banking information - it's printed on all your checks. I don't know why your banker would advise against receiving a wire transfer. Your bank will charge you a small fee for receiving funds and exchanging Euro's to U.S. Dollars - but it will be FAR less than Pay Pal.

If the buyer is willing to send you 1/2 the money and months later, show up with the other half in cash - I don't see any reason not to sell. I agree that you should not release the car or any paperwork until any checks have cleared - and you can withdraw the CASH from your account.

If you have any concerns - just go to another bank - and open a new account for the purpose of receiving the funds - put $50.00 in there to open the account - after the checks clear or the funds arrive - take the cash out and close the account.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Make sure he knows how much shipping will cost before you complete the sale. Years ago, I 'sold' my Z to someone overseas--he wired me funds--and then found out he was unable to ship the car. Needless to say, I still have my Z.

I would trust that guy. I dont know why you think Europeans would trick you somehow, if we want Z's, we are ready to pay for it. Swiss people are amongst the most honest people in europe, and most wealthiest also. I remember when i purchased my Z from the states, seller was so suspicious that i was some villain that he made the purchase very hard for me. I tried to wire the money directly to him but i needed his home address in order to do so ( it is required by the bank) but he didnt give it to me, nor to my friend who lives in USA. Eventually my friend have to give the money to US citizen who called the guy and get the address. I needed to pay extra because of this.

All im sayin that, trust us :) We love Z's!!

I'd just make sure you get most of your money before sending the car. You can't blame a guy if he wants to hold 10-20% to make sure you follow your end. He is putting a greater risk in this sale than you are. You are also working with a very stable country it's not like it some backwater African County with very little control and law.