IGNORED

Low profile kick panel speaker pods now available

Derek

I used Infinity Reference 5 1/4's in mine but my model is NLA. Here is the spec sheet. You can use it for dimensions. The depth is important but the magnet diameter is also critical as it hangs in the pocket for the door hinge bolts.

speakerdims.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. Got my Kenwood speakers that Travel'n Man recommended in from amazon today. Went to install them and the certainly don't fit... :mad: I really don't want to cut-away the metal to make these speakers fit, but I don't know what else I can do??

post-22497-141508181325_thumb.jpg

Suppose I have to cut them - any recommendations on how to do it?

Thanks,

John

post-22497-1415081813183_thumb.jpg

Hi John

I don't have any specific Ideas. Hopefully Travel'n Man will chime in though.

The speaker magnet is larger around than the frame that it attaches to. Can you angle the speaker and cheat it into the hole. when it's in the hole since the frame is a little smaller than the magnet maybe you can straighten it out.

Just a thought.

Derek

• 1 year later...

I just got a set of these as well...very close fit in my 4/71 and matches the coverage of the original part exactly. Did a dry fit on the driver's side. Will need to drill a couple of extra holes for the HSB box and the pin switch wires. I think I'll also anchor down the back part of the panels by the firewall to give a more solid mount for the speakers. Anyone who has installed these have any issues with vibration from the speakers? I was thinking about packing the pocket with acoustic polyfill.

One good part about this mod is it gets you to look at the door hinge pockets...found some rust hiding in the upper pocket. The pin switch hole gives good access to the part of the frame for rust treatment.

I found the JL Audio C2-525 C2-525 - Car Audio - Evolution® - C2 - Component Systems - JL Audio to fit right into the pocket. The trick is to make sure the magnet dimensions fit within the same as the Infinities Derek used. The 525 woofer magnets are only .5" deeper but still fit. A problem I've found is that the driver side tweeter will be slightly blocked by the remounted hood release cable. Will that affect the sound? I could switch to the 2-way co-axial version, it would be less involved wiring from the amp...I'm not going to be running big watts. I had component speakers in before and liked the clarity of sound.

Overall a nice mod and will really improve my driver space once I'm done...thanks Derek! :bulb:

Edited by 71ZZZZZ