IGNORED

Installing Glove Box

vincesf

Since I installed my radio and put together my heater control panel, it motivated me to work on one more project, installing a new glove box. I destroyed my original glove box when taking out the clock. In searching the threads, I now understand that I need to remove the blower motor in order to twist and bend the glovebox in place.

Can anyone provide any practical help before I start? For instance is there any trick in lowering the blower motor?

Thanks in advance for any help.

vincesf

Darrel, not on my 71 240Z. The early boxes are made of cardboard and must go in from the backside. Stupid design! There are at least three bolts/nuts holding the fan box to the firewall. There is also the control cable for the fresh air vent and the wiring for the fan motor. I vaguely recall screws holding the glovebox on either side of the opening too. All of this needs to be removed to get the glovebox in properly. It is a PITA! I haven't tried it but you made be able to replace it with a later plastic box that does slide in from the front with a little effort and/or mods. The simpliest things seem to be be the hardest sometimes. Good luck.

• Like 1

That's why I made my own--see forum "what I did today".

It is a bad design for the cardboard box and it doesn't collapse to install-at least the one I had.

I used it for a pattern and made one out of 24 guage aluminum, but some galvanized sheet would work great too. I bought a 8$ hinge from Menards and made the box fold up just so I can get it in from the front. Then the inside sides remove with screws.

Now I can get to some of my guages and wiring without removing the whole box. If I do need to remove the whole box, it is just a few more screws!

The cardboard glove box can go in from the front. Although it's pretty tricky, I've done it many times without destroying anything.

I wish there was a straightforward procedure to do this, but honestly, it's just one of those things I always do by trial and error, and the process of "which side to bend inward" seems to vary each time I do it.

I have always done this with the blower and air box in place. In fact, it's been trickier in my case than I imagine most of you will have because one of the large diameter A/C hoses is routed right behind where the glove box needs to go. I think the extra clearance would make it easier if it were not there.

If it'll save you a bunch of time, I suggest trying from the front first. Just go slowly and be careful not to "over-bend" any parts of the cardboard.

You can make a 280z glove box (made out of plastic) fit with minimal modifications to the glove box itself. Much easier than making one out of aluminum :) and durable than the POS cardboard.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good read. I've had the glove-box sitting in the garage for a few months now, and have been wondering how it's going to go in there. Even in terms of depth it doesn't look feasible; part of the dash wiring harness is right there. I'll give it a shot using some of these tips. Thanks.

• Like 1