IGNORED

Plastic vs. metal emblems...

kjohnson2444

I am having body work and a complete repaint done in my 1970 240z. I have purchased all new trim, weatherstripping and emblems. However, the emblems (which are all from Nissan) are all plastic, but the originals are metal. Will I decrease the value of my restoration by putting these plastic replacement emblems on the car? The original emblems are not damaged, but are missing some paint and the chrome is faded. Any thoughts?

Keith

If you are trying to keep everything 100% original then I would try to restore your originals either by yourself or by a professional. I am sure that has to be someone in the states that does that kind of work. It may cost a few bucks but in the end I think it will be worth it.

Will I decrease the value of my restoration by putting these plastic replacement emblems on the car?

No. Other than what they are made of - plastic emblems are the same style as the early metal emblems. They are OEM replacements as well.

If you were restoring one of the 69 production 240Z's or very early 70 {Jan into Feb of 70} - that had the "chrome Z" as original - then yes having the incorrectly styled emblems could reduce the value of the car by at least the current cost of proper replacements.

Worse than the reduced value on a 69 restoration - using the incorrect emblems sends the wrong message to any potential buyer - that short cuts have been taken there - which in turn starts them looking for others or wondering about the quality of the entire car.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Will I decrease the value of my restoration by putting these plastic replacement emblems on the car?Keith

Yes, you will decrease the interest and resulting "value" buy installing plastic emblems and not restoring the metal emblems. A knowledged buyer would know that a 1970 model HLS30 had metal emblems - chrome Z or not. If you have the metal emblems, restore them.

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely be restoring the metal emblems at some point, but I'll have the plastic ones put on in the meantime. Also, thanks Stephen for the clarification on the "chrome z". I never knew that. I'll definitely be watching for that in the future.

Keith