IGNORED

What thickness of fatmat should I use

KAL7467

after I apply sem rust shield to the interior of my gutted out car I plan on a layer of fatmat(sound deadening material). They sell it in 50mill and 80mill thickness. since I need to put my vinyl back over it I was thinking the thinner one but still want to cut down road noise as much as possible. also is 50 square feet enough to do entire floor hatch and firewall areas? or should I get 100 sqft and do the doors and roof also? thanks in advance

You have a PM.

I suggest the use of a product called BXT2 available through RAAMAUDIO.com

I also recommend the use I'd a product called ensolite. Both products are

amazing. 2 boxes (or 50sqft.) should be more than enough for sound deadening material and total coverage is not required.

I used Second Skin Pro Damplifier. Single layer throughout most of the car and double layers on larger flat areas. I covered that with 'Sludge" spray in the doors and rear quarter panels. The vinyl went on without much problem using a 3M spray adhesive. I added about 100 lbs of weight but the reduced road noise was well worth it.

I sprayed U-Pol Raptor bedliner in my Alfa Spider. This was based on what the guys at Vintage Kustoms do in Burlington WA.

Sprays nicely with special gun and you can put down a nice textured layer or two as deep as you want.

FWIW, I have a couple cans left that I'll sell for 20 each, black not tintable.

other folks I know have used Lizard skin which they like, but seems to be more difficult to get into nooks and crannies

Raptor sprays into crevices and gaps well.

After using POR-15 on the floors of my '73 I installed Dynamat Extreme. This is the peel and stick that many of you have used too. After that I put Dynapad on the floors and under the seats. I used the .5" version that must be glued down. The Dynapad is composed of several layers and makes a great under-carpet cushion. It really cools down the floors too.

Initially I didn't plan on disturbing the vinyl on the transmission tunnel, because it was in perfect, orginal condition. However, after driving the car after doing the floors I realized that the tunnel was generating tons of heat. I carefully removed the vinyl and then installed Dynamat Extreme after removing the tar (tip: use adhesive remover). On top of that I used the .25" peel and stick Dynaliner. This is a soft foam that is perfect under the vinyl. I taped the seams before putting the vinyl back.

The photos show the results. If I were doing it again I would do the tunnel first - makes the floors easier.

post-18713-14150813274885_thumb.jpg

post-18713-14150813275578_thumb.jpg

post-18713-14150813276173_thumb.jpg