IGNORED

Sold on LEDs

SteveJ

yes, the 2 pin electronic flasher will plug into the same 2 wires that your Thermal flasher used right now. There should be a green wire and a white wire attached to your present flasher. The white is from the turn signal flasher and the green is from the fusebox.

There should be a + symbol on the new flasher and I believe the green wire goes there.

Dave

I did this recently on my 914. One of the first things I noticed was that they were significantly brighter than the originals, which to be fair were probably 40 years old. But still, noticeably brighter. Second thing I noticed was the volt meter change. I had noticed prior to this that whenever my turn signals were on I could watch the volt meter move up and down with the blinking. Also, when the brakes were applied the meter would drop to 12 volts. I still have the drop but not as dramatic and the turn signal draw is no longer visible. I can only conclude that they draw less besides being brighter.

As for laws on LED lights in cars not originally equipped, I wouldn't worry about it. For a LEO to find out you have LED lights without your admitting to it would require a consent search. It would have to be a pretty slow day for a LEO to be busting people for LED lights. You would have to have given him or her some other probably cause to bring about the interaction and they would only throw an LED light violation on to stack your offenses.

Thanks Dave, do these just install in place of the stock flasher?

I am not so good with car electrical. Sorry if I am asking stupid questions

Please be aware that there are two flashers in your car. One is for the hazard lights, and the other is for the turn signals.

I purchased the Bussmann 232 flashers for my cars.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

question, are the REAR brake lights/turn signal dual or single filament? 1157 or 1073? how about the reverse lights?

i notice when i hit brakes, all three bulbs go on and the same applies when the turn signal is on (makes me think someone put single filament bulbs in the car i just bought).

i actually dont like the fact the entire tail light section blinks when the turn signal is on.

is it possible to make it where the top section is strictly just brake and parking light. and the bottom half is just brake, parking light, and turn signal? i wonder if this can be accomplished by merely putting single filament on top section and dual filament on the bottom section (i'll laugh if this is the original setup and i just had the wrong bulbs installed).

You have a 71' That's the way they are supposed to light up.

So start giggling....

The payyern changed thru out the years but yours is supposed to be all 3 bulbs for brake and 2 parking lights when no brake applied. Later years had the 2 outer most bulbs as brakes.

Dual filiment is for parking light and brake light, Typically 1157 up top and 1156 on the bottom lense as well as the reverse light.

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

You have a 71' That's the way they are supposed to light up.

So start giggling....

The payyern changed thru out the years but yours is supposed to be all 3 bulbs for brake and 2 parking lights when no brake applied. Later years had the 2 outer most bulbs as brakes.

Dual filiment is for parking light and brake light, Typically 1157 up top and 1156 on the bottom lense as well as the reverse light.

thanks. as the OP was mentioning about replacing 1157 with LED bulbs, would i get the hyper blinker issue? i do have a late model '70 and the turn signal blinks extremely slow compared to modern day cars. i would actually prefer a faster blinking turn signal (i would imagine the hyper blinking problem would speed up the factory blink rate).

thanks. as the OP was mentioning about replacing 1157 with LED bulbs, would i get the hyper blinker issue? i do have a late model '70 and the turn signal blinks extremely slow compared to modern day cars. i would actually prefer a faster blinking turn signal (i would imagine the hyper blinking problem would speed up the factory blink rate).

If you replaced all of the exterior lights for your turn signals with LEDs, your lights will STOP blinking with the old thermal flasher units. This is because the current flow through the unit drops to a point that the resistive element will not heat up enough to break the circuit.

I replaced BOTH the turn signal and hazard flashers with Bussmann 232 electronic flasher units. I found them on eBay. I cannot say for sure that electronic flasher units would speed up the blink rate for incandescent bulbs, but I would expect that they would.

• 7 months later...

Steve - I installed all the LED's today to include the Dashboard replacements. What a wonderful way to spend a Saturday. Job that should have taken me 2 hours MAX took me 7 hours. Dirty Lens covers, Speedo cables, kids, dog, all kinds of drama. The end product was so worth the effort. I just need to get the Tach back from Michigan to have the dash back together again.

• 10 months later...

Okay, so about a year later, I finally got around to replacing the lights in my tachometer with LEDs. After reinstalling, I noticed the turn signals didn't function correctly. I went back and replaced the LEDs in the turn signal indicators with the old incandescent bulbs, and the turn signals worked again. Apparently the Bussman electronic flashers still need enough current to flash at the proper rate. The drop in current with the LEDs caused the problem.

You need to look for an LED specific Electronic Flasher module. I think I'm using a "Blazer" or "Tridon" EP35.

I think it's a 3-4 light T/S or 6-8 Hazard. (works for both, so get 2 once you find the one that works best for your Application)

Dave

Hope this wasn't answered already - the thread is sorta over my head (managed to hook Dave's headlight harness to itself).While changing a rear turn signal bulb, noticed a lot of heat there when the lights were on, so want to change what I can to LED's without digging into the flashers. Can I just swap the single filiment bulbs ? 67-R9's? If I don't change the front turn signals will the dual-filament LED's (1157-R12?) work OK?

BTW, don't use Black Dragon harness mentioned in this thread - made in China and a bit cheezy, had to trash it.