IGNORED

280zx 60amp alternator question

KAL7467

Sounds like it might be a rough/bad/damaged bearing.

That's what I was thinking, Sarah. However, that is a worst case scenario. I mentioned it to Eddie Radatz, and he said it could also just be a loud altenator or a water pump going out.

KAL7467, I don't want to put a downer on your project but there appears to be some truth to all of the internet chatter about the poor quality of the typical auto store reman'ed alternator. I just replaced a bad O'Reilly alternator with a Datsun OEM alternator from a car that had sat for 10 years. It looked like it had some good usage on it before it sat also, but I had it so I put it on.

The O'Reilly Autolite (one of their old brands before they got bought) had always put out low voltage since I bought it, at idle if I had the lights and fan on. The wipers would barely work at idle, I usually turned them off at the stop lights. The ten year old Datsun alternator now runs everything at charging voltage, 14.8, at idle. The wipers scream across the windshield now. They're both 60 amp alternators but the Datsun OEM puts out more amps at idle. I had upgraded from an old worn out alternator so had never actually seen a good one in my car.

I'm actually glad that my O'Reilly Autolite died, even though it took out my ignition module in the process. To O'Reilly's credit, they did give me another reman, Ultima brand this time. It's sitting in the garage so I have no idea how it compares.

Just something to be aware of.

well pulled it out and got a new reman from them in exchange(Ultima I believe) and it works like a charm. no annoying hummm...as for the voltage it is putting out I was getting 14.67 at the battery...and steve eddie is going to look at the car from top to bottom tomorrow...my wife sure cant wait for that especially the brake problem u pointed out