IGNORED

lowering springs

cmiulius

Almost all the 280s I've seen with stock suspension were riding super high to my eye (is it just me?). I think a 2" drop in that case may make it ride similar to a 1" drop from stock on a 240...

Just to be a bit nit picky, 99% of the handling improvements people see from lowering their car come from the increased spring rate, not the physical reduction of ride height. In most cases, people lower their S30s too much and negate most of the handling benefits that come from the increased spring rate.

Edited by John Coffey

Almost all the 280s I've seen with stock suspension were riding super high to my eye (is it just me?). I think a 2" drop in that case may make it ride similar to a 1" drop from stock on a 240...

+1 My 280 was riding VERY high, higher than my 240 was, before I got it lowered. Now that its been lowered, with the same springs that my 240 has, it still rides noticeably higher.

Just to be a bit nit picky, 99% of the handling improvements people see from lowering their car come front the increased spring rate, not the physical reduction of ride height. In most cases, people lower their S30s too much and negate most of the handling benefits that come from the increased spring rate.

While this is true many people forget that spring aren't the only thing that can help the handling, like bushings, but that for a different time. For reference, I have a 76' 280z that I bought Eibach springs and Tikico shocks. The front lowered about an inch maybe and the rear pretty much stayed exactly where it was. I also did the bushings when I did this update. Handling was improved at least 50% if not more.

I personally don't see the point of lowering it any more than maybe an 1" or 1.5" but I'm not exactly into lowered cars. I lowered mine not because I liked it but I liked the spring rate that the spring gave. I'm sure I could have bought a different brand that didn't lower it but I only had so much I wanted to spend.

My 2 cents

Jan