IGNORED

Heater

Pomorza

Hey guys

I finally did the heater core on the Z. All the interior hoses were purchased at autozone and fit almost perfectly (one needed "some" trimming but it fit great). If anyone needs the part numbers or pictures or help with the install let me know.

Jan

P.S

Oh lord is it nice to have heat when its cold outside. (and yes I know ~30 isn't cold for you individuals up north)

Total time for installation was roughly 12 hours. I took my time, as I was in no rush to get it done. The fact that I had to run to the store four times for hoses didn't help either. I'm pretty sure one could accomplish it faster (maybe 4-8 hours) if you really wanted to.

Do have a question for you guys. On the back of the blower motor (on the air intake side I guess) there is a giant flap that moves up and down. What controls the cable to this? I cannot for the life of me find it what opens and closes the door.

Thanks

Jan

• 1 month later...

i dont want to start a new thread and clutter the forum so i hope the OP doesnt mind if i post my question here.

i know my heater works, but for some reason i cant get the heat to blow out from the center and the two circular vents on the side. all the heat is directed up from the dash vents and cold air from the three forward vents. was this how the car was designed or is something wrong with my heater HVAC?

I believe that you never get hot air out of the round vents and the center ones. It either comes out of the floor or the defroster vents. The FSM describes in great detail where the air comes from and where it goes.

ok, thats a shame. its freezing without the vents blow at you. at stoplights, i put my hands over the top dash vents to warm up my hands. :ermm:

Hey guys, go to XENONS30.com.. Go to references and select 1971 supplement chassis man.. Scoll down to a great pic of heater sys.

Bavarian06, you definetly should be getting heat through your fresh air vents. the big flap is what cotrols this function.

...Bavarian06, you definetly should be getting heat through your fresh air vents. the big flap is what cotrols this function.

Wrong.

The 240 heating system only puts out heat through the Defrost Vents (up below the windshield) or out to the floor (door flaps on either side of the heater plenum).

The Center and Side (eyeball) vents are strictly for forced fresh air n(i.e. motor driven), the two fresh air valves at the uppermost section of the kick panel are for passive fresh air flow (i.e. as the car moves).