IGNORED

Ethanol-free Gasoline Locations

JonnyRock

I have noticed on this forum, heaps of problems with rust in fuel tanks and fuel lines of cars that have sat for a while. Could this be caused by your fuel?. I have never encountered that problem in NZ. My 240 sat for four years and no rust in the tank. I must confess I had to replace the front discs as they were pitted with rust too badly to save.

Edited by olzed

Oh, yes, Olzed! Ethanol gas is evil. The atmospheric moisture gets drawn into the alcohol (through the fuel tank vent and the carb float chember vents), causing the gas to separate. Then it corrodes the metals mercilessly. I just finished rebuilding our boat's Holley carburetor. We live in a coastal region, and humidity is always high, hence a larger problem. We left our boat in perfectly running condition, with its fairly new carb, while we went away for a 4 month vacation. When we returned, the boat wouldn't run. The carb was STUFFED with corrosion. After I was finished cleaning the thing out, I had liberated it from literally a small handful of gray, powdery corrosion. Unbelievable. If you don't have ethanol gas in NZ, you're very lucky. Don't let your government introduce it!

I imagine New Zealand has the advantage of not having a ridiculously huge subsidized corn farming industry, fuel probably has to be imported either way, whether it's ethanol or the real deal -- may as well get the real deal, I suppose.

I just used the basic version of stabil yesterday. It is supposed to have more corrosion inhibitors than the old formula. I have no clue if that is true or not, but I know it is good at keeping gas from gumming up over the winter.

Do you need another needle or can you just set it richer than you otherwise would at idle? I know that the higher octane can let you crank up the power on a turbo car, but I wouldnt think it would do squat for NA engines.

Edited by hogie

• 3 weeks later...
As I understand things in Oregon, E10 has been mandated by law for all gasoline retailers since 2008. You're getting corn in your gas whether you want it or not! Is this "Clear" sold behind the station or out in the open?

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/january142008/ethanol_11408.php

True enough but another law was passed in 2009 exempting Premium Unleaded from the ethanol requirement. The law took effect in January 2010 and you can find high octane 'clear gas' at some stations. In Medford, there are 6 locations where you can buy it. I only run clear gas regardless of manufacturer recommendations.

http://domesticfuel.com/2009/07/27/ethanol-free-fuel-in-oregon/