IGNORED

No side marker lights

mbarjbar

and no tail lights with the headlights on. I have high and low beams, turn signals and brake lights. Fuses and bulbs are all good. What is the best way to track the problem down? Also, the hazard flashers only work when the ignition is on. Shouldn't they work with the ignition off?

1970 #4095

Mike

Edited by mbarjbar

Yes, the flashers should work with the ignition off. The parking lights (and tail lights) should turn on with the ignition off as well.

On a side note, Winchester, CA? You really live in Winchester? I worked there for 8 weeks. I lived in a farm house owned by a rich family in the area. Talk about a 1-non-stop light town.

Hey, I remember you, I was part of the rich family.....NOT! Just kidding. Thanks for the reply, ktm. Actually, we live in French Valley, near the Justice Center(courthouse and jail).

The metropolis of Winchester is about 10 miles north on Winchester hwy.

Mike

Mike,

Search on this site. You'll see plenty of people with the same problem you are experiencing.

Things to consider:

1. You said the fuses were good. Did you check them visually or with a meter? The fuses can fail under the end caps, and you won't see it. Sometimes the break in the fuse is so small, you have to magnify it greatly to detect it, as well.

2. The power for the parking lights and headlights all flows through the combo switch. Depending upon the amount of corrosion in the circuits, the switch can do fine for 20 years or so. Some have lasted about 40 years. Dave, aka Zs-ondabrain, has developed a lot of experience rebuilding these switches. He also sells relay upgrades for both circuits via MSA.

3. Inspect your fusebox carefully, too. I saw a fuse glowing orange in the fusebox before the fusebox melted. No, the fuse didn't blow, either, and it wasn't a slow-blow fuse.

I did my own upgrade to relays for the headlights over 10 years ago, and I haven't had a problem with either circuit since.

Steve

I just went out to the garage and cycled the switch on/off rapidly, several times. Voila! I now have tail and side marker lights! Yes, this car did sit for 14 years before I got a hold of her. Thanks Guys! Now for that hazard switch....

Mine does the exact same thing. No corner lights or tails. Open the fuse box cover and wiggle the third fuse down on the right. It always fixes mine. I need to firm up the crimp connections under the fuse box soon. If they remain loose for a while, they heat up and melt the plastic in the fuse box. Cycling the switch on and off until they work is not proof that the problem is in the stalk.

Edited by cygnusx1

Thanks for the additional info. I'll use the repair guide. Very helpful. This car's electrical system has been messed with. I looked up under the dash and saw wires connected with a big wire nut! And, when I step on the brakes, the right turn indicator light, in the dash, lights as does the front turn signal light...sheeesh!

Mike