IGNORED

Hatch alignment

my_mad_z

Hi guys,

I'm working on my 69 240z and I've struck a major problem! I have been trying to line up the hatch and can't seem to get it right. I have replaced the roof skin and at the time I didn't have a hatch to make sure the roof was correctly lined......I know I should have waited until I got the hatch, but impatience got the better of me..... The roof is slightly out where it meets the hatch.......I've figured out how to rectify it, my main concern is that the bottom left corner of the hatch protrudes 5-6mm further than the quarter panel! I've tried 2 hatches and 2 sets of hinges, but no improvement...... Could the body be out of shape (please don't say yes)??? Everything else lines up, and I know that the replacement roof is not causing the problem as it has no affect on the mounting position of the hinges.....Any suggestions??? Can I just bend the hinge to suit? BTW, the bottom right corner of the hatch lines up perfectly with the right quarter...... Please help......Thanks in advance.

Marc

You state that "Everything else lines up, and I know that the replacement roof is not causing the problem as it has no affect on the mounting position of the hinges".

Look at the spacing on the sides, and compare this to the spacing at the top of the hatch. If these are even, i.e. equal, AND it is constant across the total gap, then you need to "fudge" it. You might also consider that the gap at the top of the hatch need not be the same width as the gap along the sides.

Now, you can put shims on the hinges in a couple spots.

One spot is where the hinge mounts to the body. This will cause the hinge to move back and hence cause the hatch to protrude further back on the body, i.e. stick out more. You can put shims on only ONE side to cause that side to protrude further while not pushing the other side out. Sometimes this is necessary to line up the back edge, however, don't go shim happy and discover that you now are kinking the hinges or striking the car fenders on one side or both with the hatch.

The other spot where you can shim to adjust the hatch, is where the hinge mounts to the hatch itself. These shims move the hatch forward and closer to the roof. Again, you need to be careful here as too many and the hatch will bind on the body as you open it.

I have seen where as many as 4 shims have been needed in order to make a hatch fit. Sometimes you even have to shim on both hinges and / or on opposite sides (i.e. hatch side on one side of the hatch and body side on the other side of the hatch, this essentially shifts the hatch at an angle).

Aligning doors, hatches and hoods takes patience and it is where experience pays off. Wish I could simplify it more for you, but that's basically it. Feel free to PM or e-mail me if you have other questions.

Enrique

• 7 years later...

That sounds more like you need to push the driver's side hinge down than adding shims.

The shims I had and used actually came off other cars that had been crushed and were parts I salvaged.

You can make your own shims, or buy "pre-made" generic shims at auto body supply stores. (Sometimes your paint supply store will have a selection.) If you make your own, as a suggestion, don't just use a piece of metal and punch a hole through it for the bolt, although that works, it makes it difficult to have to remove it if it turns out to be unnecessary. I use "U" shaped pieces of varying thicknesses that I bought or made. The trick here is to keep in mind your end goal.

Also, make sure you are using the correct hinge for that side of the hatch, they ARE sided.

HTH

E