IGNORED

How does the rearview mirror install?

saridout

My body shop took the mirror out, and i can't get the sucker back on. I've got the plastic base, a rounded triangular plate with three screw holes, and the mirror. I put the plastic base in first, then the plate on top and screwed them down, and i assumed that the mirror just snapped in. Am i just not pushing on it hard enough, or am i missing a piece? I don't want to break it...

It should be noted that the spring clip in the picture Dave Ruiz posted is bent (it's touching the screws).

Both sides should be like the one side of the clip closest to the viewer.

And, as a side note, put in one of the clip sides first, then pushing against that one, THEN belt it. It won't require as much force, and the possibility of inadvertently bending the sheet metal the mirror's base is mounted to or ... shudder... the ROOF... is greatly minimized.

FWIW

E

yeah i did just that E, and put in one side first and then pushed on the other side, and it just did not want to snap in. a rubber mallet did the trick.

and no worries, the windshield was broken in the body shop, so it doesn't matter if i break it some more :P

Yes, you may loosen the clip a tad, if you feel like you will crack the windshield with the pressure needed. I loosened mind a tad with a large flat bladed screw driver and a vice. It went on much easier with no apparent ill effects.