IGNORED

looking for detailed engine compartment pic 280z

cozye

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a detailed large pic of the engine compartment on a 77-78 280z, preferably restored or at least at OEM spec. Mine has been hacked on a bit with the vacuum lines, wiring, etc.. and I'd just like to know how it's supposed to look to aid in putting it back.

Appreciate any help

Eric

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a detailed large pic of the engine compartment on a 77-78 280z, preferably restored or at least at OEM spec. Mine has been hacked on a bit with the vacuum lines, wiring, etc.. and I'd just like to know how it's supposed to look to aid in putting it back.

Appreciate any help

Eric

You said preferably 77-78 but here's pics of my 76. I'm not positive but I don't think there is a big difference in the two. I could be wrong so don't take my word at it.

post-19999-14150812300241_thumb.jpg

post-19999-1415081230085_thumb.jpg

post-19999-14150812301583_thumb.jpg

You said preferably 77-78 but here's pics of my 76. I'm not positive but I don't think there is a big difference in the two. I could be wrong so don't take my word at it.

Thanks for the pics. It is very close, however I think you are missing some stuff as well as I notice you don't have air and possibly some of the vacuum stuff I'm looking for on the passenger side. No heat either ?

'76 vacuum is different than '77 - '78. I'll see what I can find. I took some very detailed pics of a Blacl Pearl at the national convention a few years ago.

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

Edited by Jeff G 78
Added photos of '78 engine bay

Thanks for the pics. It is very close, however I think you are missing some stuff as well as I notice you don't have air and possibly some of the vacuum stuff I'm looking for on the passenger side. No heat either ?

As I said I'm not sure if they are the same. I'm not missing any vacuum lines but I am indeed missing A/C and the heater core is not yet connected.

Jan

I notice in your profile that you have a 78. There are differences between 76 and 78, there are even differences between the 77 and the 78. 78 kind of stood alone against the other years of 280Z and was more like the ZX. Take a look at the fuel rail in the 78 pic that Jeff posted vs. the fuel rail in Pomorza's car. 78 is the first year for that style fuel rail and a few changes went with it. Note the difference in the configuration of the valve cover breathter hose. Page ET-3 in the 1978 FSM is a diagram of the vacuum lines/system piping but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better example than Jeff's pictures.

Thanks Jeff. That's very helpful.

On the passenger side shock tower, there are some vacuum lines going to those devices in front of the fuseable links. I'm not sure what they are or where the vacuum lines are supposed to go, thats one of the hacked areas on my Z. I can't tell from the photo, but the rest of those photo's are awesome and will definitely help with the rest.

sblake01, I do have the FSM and have studied that diagram, but it leaves a bit to be desired and doesn't show what I'm looking for. Any other ideas or source for a vacuum diagram on this car? I've got a couple of other service manuals on order, maybe that will show me what I need.

Those vac lines near the fusable links are for the A/c. They weren't shown in the FSM as air was an option even though it was factory fitted (never worked that one out).

I had a schematic somewhere, pretty sure it's on this list somewhere as well.

Have you searched, it would be a very old thread?

Those vac lines near the fusable links are for the A/c. They weren't shown in the FSM as air was an option even though it was factory fitted (never worked that one out).

I had a schematic somewhere, pretty sure it's on this list somewhere as well.

Have you searched, it would be a very old thread?

That definitely helps. The downloaded FSM I have does have a section on AC, and it has a schematic of the system including those "magnet valves". At least I have a stating place. Thanks!