IGNORED

77 Hi Beam trouble

77silverbullet

Hello I am new to the forum but could really use some help...I bought the car I had and loved as a kid that I missed for the last 30 years. After 10 years of searching I found a 77 280z that needed quite a bit of love....8 months later I want to get it inspected and make it legal. In Texas I have to have High Beams and mine don't work. Is there a relay? Can't seem to find much out from Haynes book. The turn signal switch would not stay in the "right turn" position (another Texas DPS requirement) after taking it apart I removed the spring and it works fine. The high beam switch is sealed and I doubt I can find one at Auto Zone. I have replaced the lamps and if there is not a relay I will need to find a switch...Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, and welcome to the site. There is a lot of info on this subject, check by using the search function. The problem is either in the fuse by the passenger's feet or in the switch itself. Check for corrosion at the fuse and make sure everything has a good contact. The other issue is the switch, which is very common. Sometimes simply taking it apart and cleaning it well will solve the problem. There is a member here, Dave, that rebuilds these and is well respected on the board for electrical issues. One of the problems with the switch is that all of the current to the lights goes through it as there is no relay. Black Dragon sells a multi-fit unit for the 280Z that works really well for me. I know Dave builds one for the 240 that is more exacting in the fit, but he didn't have one for the 280 at the time. The problem with the switch will remain until you fix or replace it. The relay set up keeps the problem from coming back AND it will make your headlights very bright, a win win for cheap. But, do the search for "head light switch" or "hi beams" and read and expand the search until you find a thread that answers the specific question (on this and other issues).

I have mentioned this before but I had the same issue on a 78 parts car and just sprayed the dimmer switch at the base of the turn signal stalk full of Deoxit DN5, without removing it. It feels like cheating but it worked and it is still working.

Also had the same problem with my current 76 car. I took the stalk and switch off, looked at what it would take to disassemble it, plus not knowing exactly what was inside, and decided to hose it with Deoxit first to see if that's where the problem was. It worked and I never did take it apart. It still works great.

Both cars had sat for while, the 76 an unknown amount, and the 78 ten years, without being used.

Edited by Zed Head

TV Tuner cleaner, which remarkably Radio Shack still sells in spite of the fact that there hasn't been a TV made in the last 25 years with a mechanical tuner, also works very well.

They may call it contact cleaner, I don't have the can in front of me. But you want the kind that is for mechanical switches. Be careful with it because it comes out cold enough to cause instant frost burn to any exposed skin it touches.

All of this assumes that the switch actually changes state in some form. But I would still try the cleaner first as that is easy and will not damage anything.

I have a supply of both DeOxit 5 and DeOxit 100. I first use the DeOxit 100 to 'melt' away the corrosion on the metal part (pin/blade/slider) and then use the DeOxit 5 for lubrication and regular maintenence. I also used the 100 on all the connector pins on the connector rack (behind the glovebox) and it just improved things in general, starting with all the lights.

It sounds like your problem may be mechanical, but keep the overall DeOxit treatment in mind for later.

In answer to one of your questions, there's no headlight relay. All the "heavy lifting" is done by the switches on the steering column. Those switches go bad after decades of hard service, and a popular upgrade is to install relays. A kit is available from one of the list participants. If you're good with wiring, you can also mod your wiring the way I did with my '78 for a cost of $5-10. The mod is pretty well buried in this thread of mine:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35588&highlight=breakers

Finally, genuine factory service manuals are readily available for the Datsuns. Do a search on Amazon or Ebay to pick up a (used) copy. You can also download a FSM for free, but I think it's a lot easier to spread out a real book near where you're working! You can also scribble notes in it. ;)