IGNORED

engine bay refresh

Zedyone_kenobi

Okay, I downloaded some pics as I have been working on them. As you know I tried my hand at some primitive body work. And I am both pleased and displeased with the results. First, my before pictures...

4211097669_2ce07c933e_b.jpg

This is the completely before picture before my optima died and I decided to replace my battery hold down to OEM and get new battery ignition wiring, which started this whole thing!

4961344948_4fcb0246a3_b.jpg

First step is of course to remove all the extra nonsense that was in the way. I never did remove that strut bar, it just never seemed to be in the way to be honest. You can see the mismatched colors and spots and half a dozen extra holes where the AC stuff use to be.

4961344820_8777ddcc86_b.jpg

Now you can see my second coat of primer. I still had not filled in the holes at this point. All I keep doing is sanding, sanding, sanding. More and more, I think that this whole job should be done with the engine out of the car. I am trying my hand at this on the passenger fender, first, but I think I would like to do it all again, with the engine out. Add that to my do-to list right.

Next steps are to fill in the holes. I decided to go with a tube application. Granted it is not the best, but it is sandable and comes recommended from a buddy of mine. It is called plastic metal. Made by Bondo. I have mixed feelings about using it, but I will give it a try and see where it goes.

Right, I took a stab at filling the holes, and shooting it with a coat of 901 silver. Well as you can see the results are not exactly Pebble Beach..:stupid:

4964100899_8c88d1dc36_b.jpg

So what am I to do, but sand it down and try again. This time I got more aggressive with my sandpaper. I started at 200, then 600, then 1500. I am getting happier as this goes on. What a long learning curve..

4964694256_a64823f62e_b.jpg

The surfaces are much smoother, and now I think I am ready for clear. I could sand and re-prime/re-paint forever, but what I learned is that this job is best done with the engine out.

Next shots will be with a coat of clear, and then with the hardware installed!

yup, the whole thing. It started to blow warmer air. So I was just looking for a reason to yank it and clean it all up.

The flash makes the paint look brighter than it actually is. The match I think is pretty good. Well, good enough for an engine bay. I sprayed an extra valance panel and compared it to the body. I think it is very close, but not perfect. Lets call it 95% there. No surprise really. My exterior paint is 15 years old, and the engine bay is probably original.

I am going to take off the strut bar and clean up that post. I will also look into getting some of those nuts plated. Good advice.

UPDATE:

I hit my wheel well with two liberal coats of clear last night. This morning I was pleasantly surprised that the color appears a shade or two darker and looks much deeper. The silver dried darker than pictured above overnight. The color is DARN close to my exterior color. So much in fact, I would challenge anybody to tell me it was not sprayed 15 years ago with the rest of the car.

The directions on the can say I can wet sand with 1500 or 2000 grit, but it looks so good now, I may skip that step. I will take more pictures when I get everything bolted back on the car.