IGNORED

August 240Kproject update - warning lots of pics

khughes

Hi Guys,

I have had a few guys contact me about buying my "old" car. It is probably going to take me a good month to get all the bits and pieces sorted, and things moved around before i am going to stick it on the market. However, if you are super super keen, let me know (it may motivate me to move faster!) and i can get you some pic's of the car as it is now (and how it was in bare metal etc. if the pics on my website arn't detailed enough)

At this stage, i am looking at selling the car as a rolling shell without the cage, with all the parts to make it whole (including an auto L24, set of gt-r style over fenders, i also have a set of straight front fenders which i will swap over). Reason being that it will save the buyer from having to strip it again to get it painted (and also to save me some time). If the buyer is intending to ship the car interstate/overseas, let me know and we can probably work something out. I also have a manual pedal box luying around which i will find and include in the sale for those wanting to convert.

With regards to the cage, it is welded into the car at the moment, and i will be getting it removed in the near future. If a buyer wants to keep the cage, then i am happy to leave it in the car, but it will add $1100 to the cost of the car (which is exactly what i paid for it, The cage was fabricated by Stewert Wilkins to be "street legal", and he has many many years of rally proven fabrication experience!. copy of the reciept can be included) and i will get another made up for my car by him.

Anyway, more details to come at a later date, but hopefully that answers some questions.

it will be very sad to see this car go

Thanks guys.

Edited by khughes

it is a 74 model numbered 5497, it is actually not far off my the one it will replace, which is 5627 and a 74 as well!

Sorry to thread highjack, does anyone own a 73 coupe? I recently had Shannons quote me for insurance and their records show that the 1973 coupe doesn't exist, they start at 1974. The guy quoting said he'd have to put it on his books as a 74 not 73.

Mine's a November 1973 coupe,

Kent, It's great that you are sharing your story with the rest of us and giving us such detailed info on your build up. It certainly gives me inspiration for when I will be ready to tackle my project.

Regards: Costas.

Kent, It's great that you are sharing your story with the rest of us and giving us such detailed info on your build up. It certainly gives me inspiration for when I will be ready to tackle my project.

I am glad to hear it, to be honest, knowing people are following the build give's me a kick up the bum sometimes :) though it is hard sometimes to try and convey the right information into something readable (and workable on the web).

Back when i started, there was very little information available on the C110 (and all of it, was here!).. i figure if i am going to drop so much money into the car, others may as well get the benefit too.. i will one day benefit from overyone else when i get to build my 240Z :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update,

Cut out the roll cage, and The car sold today, and was picked up.. sad day.. but glad to get some extra space again.. it has been a LONG time since i have been down to 1 car (the Z doesn't count :) yet)

just waiting on one of the adaptors for the rotisserie to arrive, then it's game on!

IMG_20100911_153132-360x480.jpg

Edited by khughes

• 1 month later...

Since the old car has left, the last month has been a little slow.

Finally got the car mounted to the rotisserie, and back in the garage, but it wasn't until last weekend that we finally plucked up the courage to give it a spin ;)

thumbs_IMG_0077.JPGthumbs_IMG_0081.JPGthumbs_IMG_0087.JPG

some higher res pics: http://www.project240k.com/2010/10/spit-240k

Initial impressions are excellent, the bottom of the car seems as good, if not better than the topside. No major rust to speak of and with the exception of a dent in the mounts for the rubber "scraper" below the fuel lines it is in very good condition.

I was planning to strip the underside completely with paint stripper, but there really isn't any need. I will probably just rough it up and epoxy over the top. I am then in 2 minds if i should use POR again (probably not much poitn over epoxy), or go with a normal 2 pak chassis black etc. followed by a bitumen sealer. I would like to have the best protection possible (not that it would be driven daily, but rather better to do it once properly!). I would welcome some ideas from those who have done this before!

I also eyed up my larger fuel lines that i bent up from the fuel lines off the old car.. not far off, but again.. it is going to be much easier to put them in with the car on the side (going with the 2 standard lines are returns, and a larger 5/16" (from memory) steel bundy line as the main feed.

you can't imagine how much easier it is to work with the car on it's side!

Kent

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys,

I have decided to try and keep all my updates into a single thread (i have a bad habit of starting new ones) here along with www.project240k.com

The past 7 months have been a bit of a roller coaster, but hopefully things will settle down again now.

Major updates over the last few months included:

October 2010:

Continued to chip off the factory sound deadening on the interior as well as paint stripping the engine bay and roof. Started to strip the rear quarters but hitting bog sure slows things down

img_0119.jpg

img_0112.jpg

March 2011:

Unfortunately with my mates passing, i had to move the 240K from his place along with all the parts i had acquired over the past 8 years. Space was going to be a problem, so i decided that the best way forward would be to send the car away to get sandblasted.

The car was removed from the rotisserie and delivered to a media blaster in newcastle.

img_0191.jpg

img_0186.jpg

img_0187.jpg

Edited by khughes

May 2011:

The sandblaster had been delayed with some equipment failures and general bad weather, but got an update today with some pictures. The shell is completely stripped along with the doors and front quarter panels. Only the bonnet and boot lid remain to be done.

007.jpg

008.jpg

012.jpg

015.jpg

019.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

The majority of rust seems to be around previous (rust) repaired areas, and looks like a little bit of accident damage in the rear drivers side quarter. Spoke to the body shop next door for them to quote on fixing it up, he seems to think that the shell is actually quite good and finding a better one would be difficult, but there are a number of areas to be attended to.

I had originally planned just to get it epoxy primed and the underside/engine bay painted.. leave the bodywork until later, however i am starting to think that this will just end up costing me more in the long run and that maybe i am better off leaving it up there for a while, paying them in installments to complete the work required in batches (which of course is substantial.. as any thing is in this car game).

In any event, it seems that it will take a little longer for me to get the engine in.

anyway, that is the latest for now.

Kent

Edited by khughes