IGNORED

All electric 1200 datsun drag car

beandip

I'm THIS close to locking this thread. Let's get back on topic. It was started as a discussion of one particular electric Datsun. Not to say whether electric is the future, whether electric can replace IC, and certainly not about where drilling should be allowed.

So if we can get back on topic, this will stay open. First move back into off-topic stuff and I'll close it off.

Ok so back on topic for me. has anyone seen a electric datsun like this in person? because id LOVE to see how they did all this. and id love to see how the motor fits and looks. also how clean it could be or how cluttered with wires.

what would also be cool is seeing a 240,260,280 have a electric conversion and dragin on the tracks! or even a road course :)

Then lock it Arne-if you can't stand the truth.I posted facts-not opinions.Do as you wish.
Sorry, doesn't wash. If you had said, "not for many years" or "not for a long while" instead of "NEVER", I might have been able to strain a bit and buy it. But the use of the absolute ("NEVER") indicates either omniscience or opinion. Since neither you, I, nor any human are omniscient, opinion it must be. Calling it fact doesn't make it so.

<hr>

Back on topic - regardless of opinions about the present viability of electric cars for daily use, the White Zombi (which I have seen in person) is an interesting example of home-grown engineering and ingenuity. The fact that it started life as a Datsun is almost inconsequential - it could have been built on any number of different chassis. But logically, the choice of a B110 makes sense - it is simple, affordable, light-weight and rear wheel drive. And unlike most purpose-built race cars, the very nature of the electric car is such that the Zombi can be (and frequently is) driven as a daily around-town car. Totally tractable and civilized.

The fact is, should electric vehicles ever become more mainstream, it will be in part because of the enthusiasm and innovation of people like John Wayland.

Edited by Arne

that is just amazing. that makes me want to electrify my datsun. im not a big enviormentalist, but id love to have a car like that anyday. and i really wonder how long it takes to charge it when its dead and how long you can drive it before it dies depending on how you drive it.

also i wonder how much it would cost to convert a car like that.

There was an electric Z on eBay not too many years ago, it did not boast anywhere NEAR the performance of this one, however. Not sure how much I'd enjoy driving a nearly silent Z, though. It just feels like something's missing...

more silent gives you more room for loud music!

i wonder how they implament air conditioning and heating into electric cars, or if it is possible. since this one is more of a race car i doubt the thought even crossed his mind.

I don't think the Zombi has either. But it wouldn't take to much development to install some sort of small electric-powered heat pump, I suspect.

But I agree with the above thought - the sound of my Z with the windows down is one of the great things about it.