IGNORED

All electric 1200 datsun drag car

beandip

This is a little different. Datsun 1200 drag car. LOL

My friend John Wayland here in Portland Oregon has built a drag car that is all electric. He has been building and racing this car for over 5 years. There has been a Ton of innovation involved , since most everything needed to be invented to make it work and do what it does. Since it is a Datsun I thought some here would be interested in new things on the track. How about 250 mile range.

Last Friday he set the World Record for a Street legal electric car. 121.04 with a ET of 10.4 !! And they are still working out the bugs.

Dave - Sorry if I misspoke. The battery pack is actually lithium-polymer, saving nearly 400lbs. over John's previous lead-acid battery pack. The batteries are a pouch-type made by his primary sponsor, Dow/Kokam. The White Zombie was running at less than full power (only 723 electric horsepower) when it set the recent world record. John and his crew are still adjusting and testing the many recent Zombie modifications, and also playing with gearing. The car is capable of producing up to 1500 lbs/ft of instant and nearly continuous torque. The high 9's may be a possibility. For those interested, John's web site is: plasmaboyracing.com

it seems that electric cars might be something of the future. which will be weird. they will be super quiet, powerfully, the only thing is if they can get them to drive longer on a charge, or replace gas stations with charge stations and have it charge quicker then over night for long trips.(probably never happen since the oil industry controls everything)

but would be cool to have one day i guess.

Now for a reality check-electric cars are a joke.THey will NEVER be an altenative to gasoline powered vehicles.THe storage battery has basically remained the same since it was invented.They are cost-prohibited and are more of an "enviromental liability" than gasoline powered engines are.

Gas stations will NEVER,repeat NEVER be replaced with "charging stations".At least not untill instantaneous charging is invented.

The reason i posted the link above,is to show that Electric cars still can't compete in the real world.Assuming 9 seconds is an obtainable time it is still an eternity from 7.7 seconds.

Edited by Z train

Or maybe I missunderstood or misquoted. Either way, it's pretty damn cool. Would be awesome to have an 800 ft/lbs torque grocery getter for around town.

As for ZTrain, it's attitudes like that, that are keeping us in the dark ages. Nothing personal against you and I totally understand where you're coming from. But maybe it's time we all work together to get Congress to open up the rules on drilling in the Protected Parks. The US has 2 TRILLION Barrels underground, that will easily sustain us for about a thousand years or so. But they won't drill because of possible damage to the park.

We could easily be self sufficiant and no longer need Oil from other countries, but aparently we like war or some crap like that. Here's a few links.......

http://www.rinf.com/columnists/news/the-us-governments-secret-colorado-oil-discovery

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25282295/

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

Careful folks, we're starting to head into political discussions..... no-no's on the forum.

Z-train, feel free to start your own thread discussing the merits / demerits of electric cars. Remember that Horse Buggy Owners made some of the same claims regarding gasoline powered "horseless carriage abominations". This thread was started to share the advances of electric cars, and not the point you're making.

Z's, your post, while halfway on topic, is more suited to a different forum than here on Classic Z Cars. While you may find that there are many who will agree/disagree with you, it's a point that will only prove to be divisive, confrontational and very much opinion driven on this site. Let's not go there through this forum.

My 2¢ as Moderator

E