IGNORED

What's it worth?

I stumbled on this one a week or so ago. Have been exchanging emails from the owner.

Here is what he has told me so far, I haven't seen it in person yet:

1973 Datsun 240z under 20,000 original actual miles

Burnt orange w/black interior, automatic

He has TLC'd this car and stored for most of it's life. He has other cars and cycles. Sounds as though he runs it every year though. I have asked about running condition and any work done as well as records. Should get info tomorrow on that.

I really don't need another car...but...if this can be had for the right price...what do you all think? what would it be worth? It's in Wisconsin. I know it isn't the most desirable as a '73 with auto and flat tops.

How would you even go about verifying that the mileage is true...not a disconnected odometer for an extended period. I have seen some of you reveal great knowledge skills by reviewing pictures...nows your chance.

Any thoughts on value or general impressions of car?

Thanks,

Steve

post-13359-14150811580524_thumb.jpg

post-13359-1415081158107_thumb.jpg

post-13359-14150811581495_thumb.jpg

post-13359-14150811582022_thumb.jpg

post-13359-14150811582554_thumb.jpg

post-13359-14150811583081_thumb.jpg

post-13359-14150811583604_thumb.jpg

post-13359-14150811584134_thumb.jpg

post-13359-14150811584671_thumb.jpg

post-13359-14150811585208_thumb.jpg

From the photos, it's hard to tell if the claims are true. I would expect to see the engine bay and under carriage to be free of corrosion. But I don't know how it was stored.

If the claims are true, it's worth whatever he is asking, which should be upwards of $25,000.

From the photos, it's hard to tell if the claims are true. I would expect to see the engine bay and under carriage to be free of corrosion. But I don't know how it was stored.

If the claims are true, it's worth whatever he is asking, which should be upwards of $25,000.

I agree, the cars is in great shape overall, specially the dash, however the undercarriage looks rough, and it looks like more actual miles may be on this car, price wise, I am frugal so I would estimate it at about 15k if this is an actual low milleage car. my 2 cents

I think $25K is a little high. I bought a 1973 earlier this year with similar condition and originality with 60K on the odometer for a way less than $25K.

I'm thinking $8-12K depending on what a closer inspection turns up.

Seems to be a very nice car, but hard to tell for sure from the pictures (as always). The interior looks great. Even has the original radio and very clean console and dash. Does not appear to be a cap. That is impressive.

Paint seems excellent, though it's very hard to tell from pictures. I am guessing the paint is original since the dash looks that good. Also looks like someone went hog wild with the undercoat. I think that is a dealer item that varies from car to car. The undercoat in my '73 is pretty random, not as heavy as this one. May have something to do with this one being back east.

Would like to see more of the undercarriage. The passenger side frame rail looks to be a little beat up, but hard to tell because the pic gets cut off.

Also, seems to be a lot of surface rust on the undercarriage, but very normal.

Regarding the 20K mileage? Could easily be 120K. Looks like some decent Michelin XZX tires on it, so they are not originals, but definitely have been on there for a while, same as my '73 with 147K.

So, my guess at value? Given the attached information, I am going to say between $10K to $18K. I would love for it to be $25k (which would mean my '70 is way under-insured at $30K), but I think that is high.

Just my thoughts....FWIW

seller is 2nd owner of the car, didn't ask him how long he has owned it

has original bill of sale and manuals

has all receipts for any repair work and maintenance

he works at a Nissan dealer and has had the service mechanic at the dealership perform any of the service work while he's owned it

Original paint is his belief

the tires on the car are the ones that were on it when he bought it

No rust and wants me to come and see it to prove it

I'm going to take a trip and check it out next week...will report back after that

I would be skeptical that its actually 20k miles. The drive side seat shows some wear and scratches that would tell me its been driven a lot. But who knows.

Its a nice Z and take it at that. I wouldn't pay any extra because of the mileage.

ULTIMATELY...it is worth what the seller is asking or what the buyer is willing to pay. Mymind always tells me to pay no more than the original sticker price. So knowing that I buy one for almost nothing and restore it. BUT ....That's just me. If someone wants a nice machine like this without having to put much work into it then don't expect the seller to give it away. Chances are he realizes he will find a buyer and is in no hurry to be lowballed.

I highly doubted its actual mileage given how rough the under carriage is. Looking at the rust from the exhaust resonator, it must have been driven more than that. Since it is coated on the outside, they will usually rot from the inside out, a culmination of condensation and bi product of exhaust gases. Just my thought.