IGNORED

Tall Z enthusiast

Boogalou

From what I have read and what I can sit in, I've deduced that the 240Z & 280Z will probably fit my 6'6" 240 frame ok. I've sat in a 79 280zx I was thinking of buying, but I didn't have enough headroom. I do own a 86 Z31 that fit's me comfortably and suspect that my problem with the 79 280zx was the lack of T-Tops for that year. I was wondering if someone owns both a 280z and the later model ZX with the T-Tops and how they compare on headroom.

I've owned a '77 & '75 280z and an '81 280zx...the ZX had a more "luxury" seat that seemed to mounted higher than the more utilitarian seat of the Z. Also the old Z seats were mounted on spacers that could be stacked or removed to make the seat higher or lower. I'm about 5' 11" and I have about 6 inches or more above my head in my current '75 280Z, but I do lean back quite a bit because genetics gifted me with long monkey arms. :D

It's not just height, I am 6' 2" and just squeeze into the 280. You arse to head measurement is the factor that determines comfort in a car. Some guys on this sight claim to be taller than me without the discomfort I endure in the 280 - what else could it be.

The 240 is a good fit with the spacers removed, at least two inches above my head. Currently have a 90 300 TT with tbar and that seems to a good fit as well.

Seat foam condition is also an issue. With my original seat foams installed I had lots of head room (6'3" in a 1973 240Z) even with two spacers on the seat rails. However, when I installed my new foams I had no head room even with the spacers removed. Since the install the foam has settled in and now I have a good inch or two to spare with no spacers. Fits me perfectly now.:)

I'm 6'4" and fit in my 240(s) with no problem. I replaced the seat foam and the added height has reduced my headroom, but still fit. The spacers are out of the seats, putting them flat on the mounting points. It'll get better as the foam settles.

Totally agree with Sailor Bob...it's torso length that matters...i'm a tight fit in the S30's, never sat in a S130, fit well in a Z31 and Z32 and don't fit in a Z33 or Z34 (sniff)...I'm only 6'2" but have normal-guy legs (32" in-seam)...

Do a quick search...there are enough of all the models still kicking around that you should be able to find one to sit in to check...

I've got a '78 and fit fine. I'm 6'4" and have a longer upper body but don't have problems. I also fit fine in my '79 280zx and '84 300zx. I've got a '09 370z and it has the least room of all the Z's I've owned. It also has the most uncomfortable seats. Just my 2 cents.

Brent

caj ive also noticed that newer cars have the most uncomfortable seats ive EVER experienced. they are always really hard and flat. not form fitting at all. i still think my 280z with 32 year old foam in the seats are more confortable then the newer cars.

btw how is the new 370z vs the 350z?

i really want one.

Hmmm..... Interesting replies. I have a 34" inseam so my torso must be longer then the norm, which leads to the headroom problems. I didn't find the 79 zx to have luxury seats, they seemed pretty ordinary compared to the seats in my Z31. The funny thing is that I have no problem sitting in a 370z and thought it was pretty comfortable, although I've never drove one for any length of time.

i guess it all depends on the person. i cant really provide any input because im about 5"11 normal leg lenth and so on.. but there are a few things you can do to lower your seat like the bushings under the seat and maybe thinner foam. or you can just install a sun roof and open it while driving LOL.

caj ive also noticed that newer cars have the most uncomfortable seats ive EVER experienced. they are always really hard and flat. not form fitting at all. i still think my 280z with 32 year old foam in the seats are more confortable then the newer cars.

btw how is the new 370z vs the 350z?

i really want one.

Er, I seriously beg to differ. I owned a 78 280Z for over 12 years. The seats were in like new condition. The seats in my 2005 GTO are way more comfortable. Even the seats in my Ranger and my wifes HHR are more comfortable. You're 22...how many newer cars could you have you owned? Edited by sblake01