IGNORED

aftermarket ac delco parking brake cable question

MEZZZ

I bought an aftermarket parking brake cable from Rockauto,com

I couldnt justify the $300 + for a stock one from MSA, the aftermarket was around $65.

My question lies with the springs that came with it. The stock cable has the springs aft of the clevis pin. The replacement had the springs inside a plastic bag. The clevis pins are groved on the side for the cable to slide through. I cannot figure out how I am supposed to get the spring on the cable. It is too small in diameter to fit over the pressed fitting on the cable end.

Any ideas?

post-14932-14150811510197_thumb.jpg

Edited by MEZZZ

I took a look at a NOS PB cable, and as far as I can see the method Steve describes is the only way to do it. It looks like it will be much more difficult than putting keys on a keyring but doable.

Thanks guys. I figured that to be the only way, the "keyring" method" My nephew was here last night and tried that and it was digging into the plastic sheathing of the cable so he stopped. I didnt want the plastic all scraped up and exposing the bare wire, the stock cable had rusted and broke.

I'll try this again. Thanks!

I bought an aftermarket parking brake cable from Rockauto,com

I couldnt justify the $300 + for a stock one from MSA, the aftermarket was around $65.

My question lies with the springs that came with it. The stock cable has the springs aft of the clevis pin. The replacement had the springs inside a plastic bag. The clevis pins are groved on the side for the cable to slide through. I cannot figure out how I am supposed to get the spring on the cable. It is too small in diameter to fit over the pressed fitting on the cable end.

Any ideas?

Does it work fine with no modyfication?

Did you know there is exact reproduction made by one of Nissan supplier?

http://shop.jdm-car-parts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=59

This one is exact reproduction with slightly larger diameter cable.

Did you know there is exact reproduction made by one of Nissan supplier?
The one you link to is $265. Probably the same one that MSA sells

According to Ac Delco's website, the cable fits 75-78 models. It came with everything needed. The springs went on using the "keyring" method, just a little taxing but they went on. The stock hangers are rubber, mine were torn. The Ac Delco kit came with hire hangers, other than that, it seems like it should work fine.

I have it installed and now will start on putting the rear suspension back together. Next step is the R/T mount.

• 7 months later...

I didn't want to spend several hundred dollars on a parking brake cable either so I bought on from Rock Auto.

They had two that allegedly fits a '76 which I bought a couple of weeks ago...

RAYBESTOS Part # BC92952 74 1/4" Overall Length $56.79

NISSAN 280Z (1975 - 1978)

NISSAN 280Z 2+2 (1975 - 1978)

NISSAN 280ZX (1979 - 1980)

NISSAN 280ZX 2+2 (1979 - 1980)

WAGNER Part # BC122537 Part {#F122537} $78.79

NISSAN 280Z (1975 - 1977)

NISSAN 280Z 2+2 (1975 - 1977)

I bought the Raybestos cable which didn't come with all the pieces displayed in the picture. (circled in blue) The clevis pins, cotter pins, one of the hangers and the end piece that connects to the brake lever. I reused the existing clevis pins with new cotter pins and had to modify the end pieces on the existing cable to work with this one.

I'm disappointed that parts were missing but so far so good on functionality.

post-14107-14150813922767_thumb.jpg

post-14107-14150813922927_thumb.jpg

post-14107-14150813923072_thumb.jpg

Edited by yor5150