IGNORED

Help please! problem while changing water pump

72zeta

As good as J-B weld or other like products are,"thermal cycling" dooms them to eventual failure.Take the cover off.get it in spected & welded and be done with it for good.

Maybe you should have stated that in your first post on this thread.

There are "repairs" and there are REPAIRS.

One gets you back on the road, knowing that there will be a point where you will have to re-address the issue. The other, empties your wallet, but you know you'll never have to address THAT issue for a long time (there are no guarantees you'll NEVER have to address the same problem again). Sometimes you also get the luxury of one or more intermediate levels of repairs, but not always. IMO this is one of those times, you either REPAIR it, or you patch it.

However, with any repair, there is the problem of OTHER items also failing subsequent to any repairs, both ad hoc and total replace. Replace a water pump and you might have water hoses to the radiator go next, then it might be the heater hoses, then the radiator cap, then the radiator, ... then the... Where does it end?

I'm not saying that one forcefully begets the next, but from what the OP mentioned, it's his DD. While he may obfuscate his reasons, it may well be that $$$ are driving his need to effect a quick and inexpensive repair (vis a vis: " i got one of (his friends) to let me use one of his cars for this week "). That points to not having a "spare" vehicle. That means he needs a fix it now repair.

While your approach is the one that would address it (probably) permanently, it is by far NOT the cheapest. I'm willing to guess that "inspecting and welding" that piece will probably get it close to the $100 mark. Then toss in the length of time to research where to have it done, the time for them to do it, and your time investment to get it done both taking it out and putting it back in and you may have gotten close to the $200 mark. In the long run, it might be more cost effective to simply buy a brand new OEM piece. Then the problem becomes one of finding a source, getting it paid and shipped to you, and of course the time involved.

Which one gets him back on the road this weekend?

2¢

E

Edited by EScanlon